Upgraded from Old Earthstove to New Drolet Austral: Need Chimney Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FarmerVanny

Hi there, I am new around here, but the wealth of information is great. After years and years and then some more years of faithful service, our 40 year old 10 scallop Earth Stove is just plain done and we have decided to replace it with a new Drolet Austral. The old stove pipe and Class A chimney was 8" and the new one is 6". Our Current chimney is older, but we had it inspected last year and they said it looked good, and it still cleans up very well. My questions. ultimately lies in what to do from here. My local stove dealer is recommending just installing new 6 inch single or double wall stove pipe all the way up through the existing chimney almost as a chimney liner. Is this a good way to go? Obviously this would draft well, but is it up to code? Would it be better to use an adapter to upsize to 8" at the ceiling support box? Draft will likely never be a problem as the entire pipe/Chimney is 22 feet straight up, the first 12 feet inside the house. Thoughts?

I asked the same question last year and dansky advised transitioning at the ceiling. Here is the result.
Upgraded from Old Earthstove to New Drolet Austral: Need Chimney Advice

Reactions: moresnow
I would run 6" up to a 6" to 8" increaser at the support box.

Reactions: moresnow
I would run 6" up to a 6" to 8" increaser at the support box.
I guess you could try it this way and see what happens. I tried this years ago and the draft wasn't very good. I ended up changing it all out to 6".

Did ti
I guess you could try it this way and see what happens. I tried this years ago and the draft wasn't very good. I ended up changing it all out to 6".
did you switch the class a and ceiling support out to 6 inch as well, or just run 6 inch stove pipe in the existing as my local stove retailer is suggesting? I should add that the vent set up goes through a 12 pitch roof with no way to work on the roof without a cherry picker...... really trying to avoid needing to do any on roof work right now. I do however have access to the top of the chimney through another roof line and provides access.