Upgrade fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

allhandsworking

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
NYC
Hello, im in contract to purchase a home with this fireplace. I would like to upgrade the fireplace with an insert or stove. From the photo can anyone tell me if i could remove this and install the new appliance without any major work? Not sure if this is a traditional masonry fireplace. Sorry for the vague info.
Upgrade fireplace

Attachments

• Upgrade fireplace
    468C0685-7D66-438C-A9B0-75B0A2D0C8A9.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 89
Any insert or a freestanding stove has minimum clearance from combustible material so some of that sheetrock would have to be removed. I take it’s a wood burning fireplace and that brings a question is it even up to the code the way it is? Someone like begreen or bholler will have a better idea what it will take to make it safe for a wood burning stove or insert.

Thanks for the reply, I believe it’s original to the home that was built in 1989.

Hello, im in contract to purchase a home with this fireplace. I would like to upgrade the fireplace with an insert or stove. From the photo can anyone tell me if i could remove this and install the new appliance without any major work? Not sure if this is a traditional masonry fireplace. Sorry for the vague info. View attachment 250079
That is a prefab or zero clearance fireplace so chances are no insert in it at all

Ok, not sure what prefabricated is? so could i remove it a put in an insert?

Ok, not sure what prefabricated is? so could i remove it a put in an insert?
No you can't remove it and put in an insert. An insert needs to be put into a fireplace. Most prefab fireplaces don't allow inserts to be put in them.

You could remove it and it's metal chimney and replace it with a high efficiency zero clearance unit

Reactions: allhandsworking
No you can't remove it and put in an insert. An insert needs to be put into a fireplace. Most prefab fireplaces don't allow inserts to be put in them.

You could remove it and it's metal chimney and replace it with a high efficiency zero clearance unit
Ok thanks

In my current home i have an insert and was hoping to get a blaze king or similar catalytic in my next home. Are there any high efficiency zero clearance units that are great heaters or favored by the members here at Hearth?

Look at RSF fireplaces from Canada. They make a "wood heater" (EPA jargon for emission tested) and they have both catalytic and no catalytic models. Another, single burn rate fireplace made in Minnesota is Wilkening Fireplace. A Google search will yield the websites and info.

Ok, can anyone give me a ballpark estimate on a replacement and i guess after 30 years I should probably replace the liner also? Im in the North East.

If this was my place I'd demo the fireplace out and the metal chimney (prob air cooled anyway)keeping the wooden chase intact. Install cement board up the wall (flush with the existing sheet rock wall wall) build a hearth and install stone veneer up the wall on the cement board, install new class a chimney in the chase and connect the stove through the wall using 45deg elbows and double black pipe to a tee with a lower piece of class a on the bottom of the tee to extend the access for a outside clean out.