Update to my previous thread- thimble issue fixed, doing well so far

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exmasonite

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2010
Novi, MI
Hey everybody... wanted to post a follow up to my previous post here:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/71231/

For some reason, i wasn't able to reply or add on to that thread. Not sure if there's a lockout or something.

Anyways, wanted to give a kudos to Valley Fireplace/Chimney out of Canton CT. They came out and made some pretty honest, no-BS recommendations on my issue. Basically said to fix thimble first, see how the stove keeps burning. They said a liner certainly wouldn't hurt but not necessary. They did say that a newer stove would require a liner as they are more draft dependent (all of this the same as the awesome advice I got here)

So, guy came out yesterday and spent about 3 hrs getting the thimble all fixed and worked out: cut out piece of old pipe, extended pipe so that it terminates at the tile liner, not in the wall as before. Sealed the entire thing, installed screws on all the pipe joints from stove to thimble (had just been stuck together). Guy mentioned that inspecting the chimeny cap in the spring might be advisable (as it might be too close to top of chimney and impeding draft) but figured for now, see how this works. All told, 2 trips and about 4 hrs of labor + materials came to < $250.

Fired her up last night and life is all good. Also got a taste of what "seasoned" wood is like as the load that'd been sitting in the house for 10 days fired right up. Looking forward to next year. I'll admit the 19 yr old New Zealand Stove (Merlin 3) probably isn't the most efficient and i could probably save 20% in wood by upgrading my stove but don't think that's worth the $3K for stove and liner at this point.

Thanks again for all the help and advice. Just need the snow to melt in order to get that wood chopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.