Understanding TemTex EE36-1 Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wrbrw

Aug 20, 2024
Chicago
We have a Temtex EE36-1 wood burning fireplace with gas starter that was probably installed in the early 1970s. We have had it inspected and cleaned, and used it a few times, but when we tried to turn on the fan to recirculate warm air out the vents, that didn't seem to do much. Which is fine, we just want it more for the appearance.

They ran two large (10-12"?) ducts out an exterior wall, and then another duct to a fan. There are two vents above the fireplace on the wall also, but did not notice a fan connected to those.

The ducts that are visible all run through some cabinets, and we would like to utilize that cabinet space for storage.

Can I remove the two ducts that go from the sides of the fireplace to outside, and also the duct that leads from one side of the fireplace to the fan which blows into the room, and maybe block the openings with rock wool and sheet metal, and then still use the fireplace as a wood burning fireplace with gas starter?

I want to make sure that by doing that, I won't create any kind of back drafts or create any safety or smoke problem. There is a "chimney" but it's just a metal rectangle on the roof with a brick design painted on it. The brick around the fireplace is just decorative veneer.

If anyone has an installation manual for this, can help me understand its operation, whether or not I can modify it as described, or what some easy replacement options would be, I would greatly appreciate it.

Understanding TemTex EE36-1 FireplaceUnderstanding TemTex EE36-1 FireplaceUnderstanding TemTex EE36-1 FireplaceUnderstanding TemTex EE36-1 FireplaceUnderstanding TemTex EE36-1 FireplaceUnderstanding TemTex EE36-1 FireplaceUnderstanding TemTex EE36-1 FireplaceUnderstanding TemTex EE36-1 Fireplace

It looks like at least one of those ducts may be for an outside air supply. Is there an exterior intake grille?

Yes, there are actually two exterior grilles, but I didn't know what they are for. I would like to close those off so freezing air doesn't leak in during the winter, and remove the duct going to the fan. I would also like to block the two grilles (not shown) above the fireplace on the interior, which I believe are also supposed to provide heat like the duct labeled "to fan":

Understanding TemTex EE36-1 Fireplace Understanding TemTex EE36-1 Fireplace

The outside air may be required. If so, removal is not an option.

Thank you. I think we may just decommission this system and I'll shut off the gas and be sure not to burn any wood in it until we can get some other system set up.

What kinds of systems would we be able to replace this with, if we do have some kind of pipe going out the roof, and have gas and electric available there? "Gas insert"?

Without the manual we can't determine if an insert is permissible. By this I mean an insert going into the existing fireplace. If by "insert" you mean a replacement Zero Clearance fireplace, then there are several options from wood burning, to pellet, to gas.

Reactions: wrbrw
Thanks again. So I might just have someone tear out everything associated with this system, end up with a void where this fireplace was, and ask companies what fireplace I can have installed in its place, going out the same opening in the roof, but with a completely new flue pipe?

Or a local fireplace company might be able to inspect it and let me know if I can just block the side intakes and continue using it as is?

If you or anyone on the form has any recommendations in the Northwest Chicago suburbs I would appreciate it.

Thank you for the replies and helping with all these questions.

Yes, a complete tearout opens more options but it will be costly. The least expensive might be a freestanding gas stove.

Reactions: wrbrw