Uncontrollable fire help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
I keep running in to a issue. I burn only on weekends all day Friday-Sunday. At least once a weekend on a reload it goes nuts. It turns into a inferno and you can't turn it down. If you close the air it goes crazy on secondary burn and never seems to let up. The first few times I played with it until I got uncomfortable with the temps and the situation. If I pull a log out I can get it under control. I also noticed it smokes alot more on these reloads then any other. At first I thought it was a fluke but it's happened a few times know. What am I doing wrong. Thank you

I keep running in to a issue. I burn only on weekends all day Friday-Sunday. At least once a weekend on a reload it goes nuts. It turns into a inferno and you can't turn it down. If you close the air it goes crazy on secondary burn and never seems to let up. The first few times I played with it until I got uncomfortable with the temps and the situation. If I pull a log out I can get it under control. I also noticed it smokes alot more on these reloads then any other. At first I thought it was a fluke but it's happened a few times know. What am I doing wrong. Thank you
How tall is your chimney? Have you checked all of your gaskets?

Tell us about your setup, how long is the flue, sounds like your wood is dry. How old is your stove, what is your stove.

How far down are you letting the coals burn down before reloading? How thick are the splits that are being loaded? What type of wood?

Tell us about your setup, how long is the flue, sounds like your wood is dry. How old is your stove, what is your stove.

Is a older avalon pedelton. I replaced at the gaskets and brick this fall before I installed it. It's a 21 foot insulated flex. Wood is dry. Most of the time it runs great but once a weekend on one reload it goes nuts. The worst part is it smokes so much the glass gets dirty then I cant see in there very well. . Sometimes I don't let it coal for very long I wonder if that has anything to do with it. But it also smokes more on these loads

How far down are you letting the coals burn down before reloading? How thick are the splits that are being loaded? What type of wood?

I was just wondering about the coaling thing. Most of the time I let them get way down but twice when this had happened I didn't let it coal very long. Could that cause this? It's all ash and soft maple

Was the gasket from Travis or a generic like a Rutland?

I was just wondering about the coaling thing. Most of the time I let them get way down but twice when this had happened I didn't let it coal very long. Could that cause this? It's all ash and soft maple
Yes, especially if the splits are not very thick.

Its 21 feet of insulated flex. The gaskets were all new this year when I installed it but I have not checked them since
Just because the gaskets are new doesn't mean they are dealing properly

Yes, especially if the splits are not very thick.

Yes the are smaller rounds and smaller splits. Not sure on the brand of gaskets they came from rockey mountin stove ( I think that's the name). I was wonder about the coals. I was trying to figure out what was common with all the times it had happened and all the times it had had alot of coals

Yes the are smaller rounds and smaller splits. Not sure on the brand of gaskets they came from rockey mountin stove ( I think that's the name). I was wonder about the coals. I was trying to figure out what was common with all the times it had happened and all the times it had had alot of coals
That's a combo for rapid outgassing and a dramatic secondary show.

I usually wait until I have just the right amount of coals to get the next fire going but sometimes I just want to go to bed and will reload on a bigger coal base, I just keep a close eye on it and close it down quicker to keep it under control, I have almost 30' flue so I have to be right on it.

If you need the heat or just want to burn down a large coal bed so you can do a full reload without the excitement, first throw on a few small sticks/kindling, even some bark. You can get a surprising amount of heat while not adding much to the coals. 30-45min later the coals and stove temp will be down and you'll be able to load up for a run. Be ready to lower air quicker and more aggressively than on a cold start.

I have the same problem when I put wood on top of a HOT coal bed. The wood out-gasses too fast and the secondaries burn REALLY hot. My options are to either use a smaller load or to wait until the colas burn down more. I also have to stay on top of a large load until it is cruising, otherwise I get too much heat.

I have the same problem when I put wood on top of a HOT coal bed. The wood out-gasses too fast and the secondaries burn REALLY hot. My options are to either use a smaller load or to wait until the colas burn down more. I also have to stay on top of a large load until it is cruising, otherwise I get too much heat.

Exactly... same here. Been fighting the the thing all winter.