Uh oh...looking for more places to add a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
After more or less successfully installing a wood insert/liner at the beach place, and totally digging it, I'm eyeing my presently non-functional coal fireplace as a candidate for a stove. The chimney appears to be unlined masonry (outside wall), and probably in the 25' range, ~10x8". i have to see what the chimney looks like on the roof, as i have my gas boiler and water heater venting to apparently the same chimney, though there doesn't appear to be a connection with the fireplace chimney. the fireplace is small. my downstairs (what i'm primarily concerned with heating) is open, and about 1100 sq ft. This would likely be supplemental heat--the rest of the house is boiler/radiator--but if I can heat the whole thing, great. Doesn't get too cold here, usually low 30's at night during the winter, sometimes 20's. the fireplace is 21.5"W in front, tapering to 18.5". 26.5" high, and 32"D (including hearth--will likely need extending). What are my options for a stove for that opening? i'm guessing that i need something long and skinny-- http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200339109_200339109 or so, though that isn't exactly what i'm looking for. looks like it would be easy to drop a 6" liner down it, appears to be a straight run.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Uh oh...looking for more places to add a stove
    IMG00028-20101122-1638_1.webp
    56.6 KB · Views: 407
You might want to look at a free standing stove that would be placed in front of the fireplace.

BrowningBAR said:
You might want to look at a free standing stove that would be placed in front of the fireplace.

I would suggest the same thing

unfortunately, both the hearth and more importantly, the room, are pretty small. i'd like to utilize space in the fireplace itself if possible. that VG looks like it would do the trick, but i'm concerned about quality. is there anything else out there with those types of dimensions?

nola mike said:
unfortunately, both the hearth and more importantly, the room, are pretty small. i'd like to utilize space in the fireplace itself if possible. that VG looks like it would do the trick, but i'm concerned about quality. is there anything else out there with those types of dimensions?

Then expand the opening of the fireplace.

Harman is now making a great insert off the design of their very successful TL-300 Great looking stove and the same great downdraft complete burn low emission as the Free standing model. By the looks of your picture i dont think most inserts will fit in there without modification.

After some more digging around, it looks like I can fit a small stove in there without any mods; this would, I think, take up minimal additional space in the room.
Jotul 602 B: (broken link removed to http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-stoves/Jotul-F-602-CB/)
Or Vermont Castings Aspen: (broken link removed to http://www.vermontcastings.com/products.asp?model=aspen)

These are really the only 2 stoves of this size and dimensions (depth > width) that I could find. Does anyone know of others?

I'm also curious about the heat outputs. The Jotul is listed as 28k BTUs (with a heated space of 800 sq ft) v. the VC 18K (600 sq ft.), though the VC seems to be the larger stove. Are these more marketing numbers, or is it possible that the Jotul actually puts out more than 50% more heat than the VC?

Though I'd like some more BTUs, either of these should do to at least take the chill out of the main living space downstairs and cut down on my NG use. Nighttime temps around here never get below the 20's, and it only stays below freezing for a few weeks usually. Day time is usually upper 30's/low 40's at worst.

Huh, just did the math for the 2k square feet that we heat in the winter. My most expensive bill last year used ~250 CCF of NG, which averages out to be about 35k BTU/hour. So I'd guess that 28k BTUs (I don't know if thats the EPA number or the more optimistic mfgr number) should be enough to put a significant dent in NG use.

Morso squirrel- unfortunately, the box stove style has gone out of favor.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
Morso squirrel- unfortunately, the box stove style has gone out of favor.

Matt
yeah, looked at the morso. Unfortunately, all are too tall--26" is my max height, and none of them appear to have a rear flue exit. Thought about cutting down the legs by 1 1/2", but I'm sure somebody would frown on that.

I really like the looks of the Aspen, I just wish it was larger and made by a company other than VC. I don't trust them yet.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
I really like the looks of the Aspen, I just wish it was larger and made by a company other than VC. I don't trust them yet.

Matt
I agree, looks nice. I still don't understand why the rated output is so much less than the Jotul.

IIRC it is not a very successful design with a small firebox. Corie rebuilt one a while back.

I always figured that the 18K btu was a realistic number. I've noticed BTU numbers creeping up to fairly unsustainable heights recently. For instance, and it's a bad example, the VZ potbelly stating 200K btu.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
I always figured that the 18K btu was a realistic number. I've noticed BTU numbers creeping up to fairly unsustainable heights recently. For instance, and it's a bad example, the VZ potbelly stating 200K btu.

Matt

well, at least for the EPA stoves, I thought those were test #'s under EPA specified conditions. And then the stove manufacturer will put out their own numbers under "realistic" (read--optimistic) conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.