Two Stove Program = 44

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MaintenanceMan

Minister of Fire
Feb 25, 2010
Southern IN
I just got the Englander (in avatar) that I used to heat the house with installed in my new shop on New Years Eve. It's been in storage for the past three years. Now I am officially running two stoves in single digit temps. The PE27 does an awesome job in the house. And the 17 seems to have no problem keeping the shop at about 65-70 degrees with two to three hour reloads running on water maple. I've been stubborn trying to burn up a cord of maple just to get it used up. Everything else I have is much better oak and hickory. With temps like these and running two stoves I should have the last of it gone in a few weeks.

I've been hauling wood in like it's a full time job. The good news is I do have the dog trained to help. She carries in one split at a time with me.

27+17= 44 ;)

Glad to hear the 27 is working well. From what I've read here, the 27 should be like running half a stove, with those long reported burn times. :cool: In this weather though, I'm going through the wood at a good clip even in my little cat stove.
I like to keep some of the lesser woods on hand, like Black Cherry and soft Maple. Flat splits are great for burning down coals that you've pulled to the front of the box. And, sure, a full load may not last as long as Oak but you won't have as long a coaling phase either, if you are fighting for room temp when it's cold outside and you need longer periods in the secondary burn/cat stage. It doesn't seem like most people with decent weatherization have that problem, and the lower output of the coaling stage doesn't lose them much house temp. I have no wall insulation in this cabin so it gets tougher to keep up when we get a cold snap like this..

Exceptional burntimes are typically during shoulder season. When it gets real cold outside the numbers are typically halved or more for all types of stoves due to the higher heat loss that the stove is making up for.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Exceptional burntimes are typically during shoulder season. When it gets real cold outside the numbers are typically halved or more for all types of stoves due to the higher heat loss that the stove is making up for.
A lot of heat goes up the chimney as well, when you open up the air for more heat.