Trying to figure out my insert option...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 3, 2018
Finger Lakes
Just purchased a home, which I will be putting a wood burning insert in. I have never dealt with an insert before only free standing stoves and have one or two questions for those more experienced than me. Pictures are below one of the outside and one of the inside looking up:

The firebox is metal not sure if it is what's considered a zero clearance or not. Will I have to remove the whole thing or can it stay? If it stays I'm guessing I'll have to grind out the trapezoidal flue.

As of right now I'm looking at used stoves since I can save a ton of money, compared to buying new. There are some Avalon Rainers( https://www.avalonfirestyles.com/TravisDocs/100-01140.pdf ) available in the area which I am leaning towards. There is one Lopi Freedom ( https://www.lopistoves.com/TravisDocs/100-01162.pdf ) available, which I believe it is too much stove for the area I need to heat.(30x30ft open area with 12 foot ceiling with lots of windows) I am worried about heat loss, but I also don't want to be burning through crazy amounts of wood.

I am open to other suggestions for stoves as buying new isn't totally out of the option. Just trying to keep the budget starting out.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Can't get third pictures of sizes to come up in my media
  • Opening Sizes
  • Front of stove 37"
  • Back of Stove 28
  • Angled sides 18"
  • Height of opening 27"
  • Depth 22 1/2"
  • Hearth 20"
Trying to figure out my insert option...

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like heatform style fireplace, not a zero-clearance. You can put an insert into it. Both the Rainier and Freedom are good inserts with a long production history.