Trouble Heating With Dovre Cape Cod (Quadra Fire Isle Royale)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kvesi122

Nov 20, 2018
Worcester County Mass
Hi All,

I finally got my secondary burns under control thanks to everyone's suggestions and expertise. One problem I've always had with this stove was that I can't seem to heat up my 1800 sq ft house fast if at all during colder temps. I'm running an OEM blower on the back with stack temps at 300-350 and a stove top temp cruising between 550 and 600 degrees now.

It may take up to 2 hrs to heat the house up 1-2 degrees. The house has a very open floor plan and I'm running the blower in combination with the ceiling fan running in reverse. House was built in 1974 so the insulation isn't great and the windows are all aluminum frame.

My wood is 2 yr seasoned oak with a mix of 1 yr ash at this point. I was previously running only 2 year seasoned oak with great secondary burns.

The only kicker is that I don't burn 24/7. If I come home from work with the house at 60 I'm lucking if I get up to 63 by the time I'm going to bed. The thermostat for the house is located at the corner of the living room and kitchen on the 1st floor.

Last edited:

Reactions: kvesi122
It's going to be hard to get the house warm starting from 60deg. I let my furnace kick on now and then, it's worth spending on a couple hundred gallons of oil to keep the house 70+ all winter.

Last year I kept it at 55 haha ain’t going that low again.

First year I moved in a ripped through $2500 worth of oil in 2017-2018 without the stove.

Last year I kept it at 55 haha ain’t going that low again.

First year I moved in a ripped through $2500 worth of oil in 2017-2018 without the stove.
I used to spend more than that without the stove, this stove has paid for itself many times over.

Reactions: kvesi122