Tried out my Granberg Sawmill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JimBear

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2017
Iowa
I bought this a couple months ago & just tried it out today on some Mulberry & Cherry I pulled out of a brush pile. I ordered a couple of milling chains from Granberg also. I am happy with the way everything worked & have a few slabs to start drying.
302631E9-84E1-4E91-80A7-D2F92EAABE4A.jpeg
7971AB1B-C2C9-4119-BA30-B51079E44D42.jpeg
2C3A90BB-D282-42B9-8ED7-CC1DB3DFDE72.jpeg

ED9B81D0-548E-490D-9B1B-CDDA12EA4D33.jpeg

How much time do you think it took to make a single pass. What did you think of the effort vs the outcome.

Reactions: JimBear
How much time do you think it took to make a single pass. What did you think of the effort vs the outcome.
I will try to get some dimensions tomorrow so there is a reference point as far as width x length, ect. I don’t believe it was more than a couple minutes a pass at most. The Mulberry seemed to cut faster than the Cherry. Effort vs Outcome: I was very happy, my wife wants some shelves & I have a friend that likes to build various things so it’s an enjoyable thing for me to do. The hardest part is trying to convince my wife that the slabs need to dry before she starts sealing them & hanging on the wall. I also need to find somewhere to stack them for drying.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
A
Here are some dimensions of the largest Mulberry & Cherry boards I cut. I cut Mulberry @ 1-1/2 & Cherry @1-1/4. No more than a couple minutes on each cut. I do need to rig up some stands or sawhorses to get the log off the ground so I can stand up to instead of cutting on my knees. Overall effort vs outcome I am very happy & so is my wife, two daughters & my mother. I can make a couple of benches & some shelves.

83743A32-8271-4624-B372-7F8A090B0638.jpeg

C59F94BA-2778-4081-8549-5D0E4B6A5FF7.jpeg

6F5DBE1D-AE4B-49E0-B9E0-ED4FFA1EB4C3.jpeg

DBE3E78C-7F2D-4B3D-A3F8-97179BF12CB7.jpeg

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Pretty soon you will have a log bench and a rail system. I've been lurking around Sawmill threads and researching about this topic for a while.

Pretty soon you will have a log bench and a rail system. I've been lurking around Sawmill threads and researching about this topic for a while.
Rails are on the way, I ordered them about a week ago. I used a 2x8, wedges & wood screws on this bunch. It didn’t work to bad. I bought 9’ on clearance, they are just making 5’ & 10’ now I guess. 9’ should be more than enough for what I want to do.

Rails are on the way, I ordered them about a week ago. I used a 2x8, wedges & wood screws on this bunch. It didn’t work to bad. I bought 9’ on clearance, they are just making 5’ & 10’ now I guess. 9’ should be more than enough for what I want to do.
I already have a 395XP and planning on a Logosol F2 myself. Most of our trees are fairly small and I think an Alaskan mill would drive me nuts.

Looks fantastic. I have a beam mill from timbertuff and it works of for what I have done. Once my garage/ shop is done, I want to start making furniture to sell. I think I will invest in one of these.
What are you going to do about the slabs checking while drying?

Looks fantastic. I have a beam mill from timbertuff and it works of for what I have done. Once my garage/ shop is done, I want to start making furniture to sell. I think I will invest in one of these.
What are you going to do about the slabs checking while drying?
I have done some reading & I think I will just paint the ends & about 1” up on faces & sides then see how that works. My friend has a 12” surface planer so we can skim some off to bring back nice color. We both have table saws & radial arm saws so we can cut, slice as needed maybe dowel some together. These are pretty much experimental, learn as I go type thing. I can be more selective as I go on types of logs I cut, these were just handy to get to & try it out.

Reactions: SpaceBus