Treemont not heating?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

johnyburn

Nov 11, 2019
Dayton, OH
I've got a Treemont fireplace insert that is probably 20 years old. The thing is, it doesn't throw off much heat. In my last house, we had a Nashua insert that made the room toasty even without the blower. I think I'm using the insert correctly and the top of it gets hot but, again, it doesn't warm the room. (Although it does throw off some heat with the blower working.)
Does this make sense? Could I be missing some operator error?

Thanks

Is this a catalytic model? If so, the catalytic convertor may be plugged or at end of life. Is this an interior or exterior wall fireplace?

I think it is not catalytic. Exterior wall fireplace. Pics attached. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpeg
    IMG_0674.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0673.jpeg
    IMG_0673.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,319
I think it is not catalytic. Exterior wall fireplace. Pics attached. Thanks
Is it hooked to a liner that runs out the top of the chimney? How long has your wood been cut split and covered? How are you running the stove?

Is it hooked to a liner that runs out the top of the chimney? How long has your wood been cut split and covered? How are you running the stove?
Good questions. I've been told that it is hooked up to a pipe in the chimney but I don't think it goes all the way out the top. Also, my wood has been split at least a couple years- but is not covered. (I suppose that is a problem.)

The Nashuas were a little more sophisticated and had a basic reburn system that did produce more heat. The stout baffle was also a manifold through which convection air was superheated. It was a good stove in its day. The Treemont is more basic. The good news is that a modern stove will even do much better than either at heating well while burning less wood.

Last edited: