tree id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wesessiah

Burning Hunk
Aug 31, 2012
Lincolnton NC
i have several of these and i'm curious what they are. i can't tell you what the bark normally looks like since i was evidently supposed to build an arc this year, and just wasn't listening, so the bark has been too wet to really tell... plus it looks like there was a downburst in my yard last night, with a lot of the trees and bushes being lopsided, and pointing west. anyway, the ones i have range from 4 to 15 feet tall. thanks.

tree id

tree id

Alianthus (tree of heaven). Worst. Tree. Ever. A good for nothing weed that smells even worse.

Reactions: ScotO
Yes, Ailanthus, tree of heaven, paradise tree. Here, it's called Chinese elm. Also,Chinese sumac. Hard to kill

Tree of Heaven, lowest BTU firewood around here. Usually free on CL.

so what i've read, indicated it does fine without sun, water, or even dirt, and one of the most successful at suckering. with it being invasive, and close to some black walnuts i have, what's the best way to get rid of it and keep it gone since i won't be able to get to the roots?

Vigilance. Cut or dig them out. Put herbicide or spray paint on stumps when freshly cut. Consider planting grass and mowing in area where they had appeared.

DESTROY, DESTROY, DESTROY!

sumac. dad gum horrible tree, bush whatever. You can't kill the thing.

are sumac and alianthus the same thing? they look identical to me looking at google.
i really don't want to go into the ground there because of the proximity to my black walnut trees. they're just inside the woodline, and closely packed with other trees i don't want to kill. from what i'm reading, either one will basically sucker from a woodchip left.

Spray very carefully with a stout batch of crossbow.

Ailanthus and sumac are not the same but do look a lot alike. Sumac is a bush...ailanthus is a tree.

so what i've read, indicated it does fine without sun, water, or even dirt, and one of the most successful at suckering. with it being invasive, and close to some black walnuts i have, what's the best way to get rid of it and keep it gone since i won't be able to get to the roots?

The suckering is why it is hard to kill. Cut it down, or spray herbicide, it just suckers back to life. One of the parks around here has been working on eradicating them. What they do is hack a few spots around the trunk, exposing cadmium(sp?) layer, but not all the way around, leave space between hacks. This keeps it alive and growing, and not shooting up suckers. then fill the cut-out with herbicide.

Try cutting off at the base, then with a paintbrush, on a day where no rain is expected, coat each stump with undiluted crossbow, or a mix of undiluted crossbow and glyphosate, or just undiluted glyphosate if that is all you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.