Tree I’d….Is this Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

bigealta

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 22, 2010
Utah & NJ
Is this Ash? The bark doesn’t quite look right to me but I’m very far from an expert on Ash.
I don't see the diamond bark pattern so i don't think it can be Ash.

Edit; Is the Pecan?

[Hearth.com] Tree I’d….Is this Ash?

Link Removed

Last edited:
Doesnt look like the Ash in my neck of the woods.

Reactions: shortys7777
Pecan Tree? It's in NJ.

Looks real close to pecan.

Reactions: stoveliker
Bark looks like pecan (I'm in Texas where pecan is everywhere. Leaves don't look like local pecan.

Pecan is awesome wood and almost a shame to burn it for heat as it really shines in the pit and especially the smoker.
That's interesting because those leaves are dead ringers for pics i've seen on tree id charts, pics & websites.
I had no idea pecans grow here in NJ. Maybe a different variety that down south?
Yes if i can get permission i may cut some for smoking even though i don't have a smoker.

How does it split?

It is not ash.

Pecan? I only know pecan as splits, not the tree or logs with bark. It could be pecan.