Treating wood shed floor and walls from insects?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yuryk

Feb 17, 2024
Eastern MA
Dear Community!

I am now filling my wood shed with firewood. Its size is 11x6x20 and its open from both long ends:
Treating wood shed floor and walls from insects?

Some of my wood have insects in them. I read here that mostly people say "it's fine, they burn well", etc. But I'm buying 5 cords of semi-seasoned wood to store in here for a long time, so a bit worried about those insects. Do you think it's a good idea to treat the floor and walls with something to mitigate this to some degree? If so, what would you recommend? I found that a borate-based wood-preservative would be an option, but I'm sure you guys know better!

Thank you in advance!

Stack it and rotate it through. Borates only make a difference if the insects decide to eat the treated wood. You don’t want to spray your firewood.

Reactions: yuryk
I used to have a problem with spiders coming into my house through my door thresholds. I started using the product below, spraying my door sills once a year. Completely cured my problem. You could probably use it to spray the floor and entrances before you filled your shed. I would be more worried about bugs coming in after filling it than on the wood itself after handling it multiple times.

https://www.amazon.com/HARRIS-10-Mo...refix=harris+roach+ant+killer,aps,181&sr=8-43

Reactions: yuryk
Thank you guys! Based on the answers I assume this is not a common thing to treat woodsheds! But it's an answer itself I guess! :)

You don’t want to spray your firewood.
Yeah, I wouldn't spray the wood itself. I was thinking about spraying the pallets underneath it, maybe even walls of the shed, so that no other bugs come to the party.

diatomaceous earth
Heard about this stuff a long time ago and I actually have some "just in case". I guess since it's dry inside - it's a good idea to try it out! Thanks!

Be careful not to breathe DE dust. All those diatoms shells have jagged edges.