TPI35 Timberwolf Pellet Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dec1000

Nov 27, 2013
Virginia
I just got a Timberwolf TPI35 pellet installed last week. Install went good and everything worked good with good heat. I decided I wanted to install a thermostat to keep the room to the temperature I decided.
I looked in my manuel and it said to get the Napoleon F50. When I tried to find the thermostat it says it is now replaced by the Napoleon F60. I ordered one and received it and looked in my stove manual and all it says is to hook the wires from the F60 receiver to the 2 screw terminals and thats what I did. I Put the batteries in the receiver and remote and placed receiver in remote position and synced the transmitter to receiver. All good there.
The receiver is set on remote and the control board is set to on and the other switch is set to Auto.
I turn on the remote and set the temperature and it goes to medium and starts the fire. No problems there. When it reaches the temperature I have set, it switches to low and continues to feed pellets on low. What could be the problem as to why it will not shut down when it reaches temperature on the remote.

it runs on low for 1hr, then will shut off it the t-stat doesn't call for heat again.
this prevents the unit from firing on/off so often. it mentions it in the manual, but i was confused at first too!

it runs on low for 1hr, then will shut off it the t-stat doesn't call for heat again.
this prevents the unit from firing on/off so often. it mentions it in the manual, but i was confused at first too!

I appreciate your response. I have been messing with it all day, looking for a jumper that I had read about on other stoves that needed to be taken off. I wish it could be changed to go off when it reached the set temperature. That kind of defeats the purpose of having the thermostat.

it will go off, just in one hour, lol

its why i dont recommend this model for small spaces. larger spaces it works great and keeps the ignitor lasting longer

Besides the thermostat, how do you like the TPI35? I'm shopping for a stove and this one is about the only insert that could fit in my firebox, but I'd heard it has some feeding problems.

Besides the thermostat, how do you like the TPI35? I'm shopping for a stove and this one is about the only insert that could fit in my firebox, but I'd heard it has some feeding problems.

So far so good. I have only had it for a week. The only problem I have seen with the feeder system is it seems like the pellets in the hopper are slow sliding down and hang to the sides. I always keep mine pretty full so it hasn't been a problem for me. Puts out good heat. I haven't had it past medium. In about an half hour it will run you out of the room on medium because it is to hot. Thats why I wanted the thermostat so it would cycle off. The answer I got about the thermostat was exactly right. I finally let it run the whole cycle and after an hour it cut off and came back on when the temperature dropped. When I buy something new, the first thing I do is find the best forum on the product and join because there is always a wealth of knowledgable people that know what they are talking about. Thanks to all the people that take the time to help.

Reactions: Heatsource
I have a TPI 35 for 3years, 4th year this year. The convection blower went bad and I am looking to replace it now. Also i think it really heat the space they say it will.I would suggest at least 1 model up from this one.

Sitting here with the sweep right now. Had it cleaned, now the auger won't feed. It's two years old, up until now, it's run beautifully.

Very frustrated. The auger is not working. After having the stove cleaned it didn't work. We've replaced the entire electronic panel and the vacuum motor. The fuses are good.

You went through the troubleshooting guide on page 42 of manual? http://napoleonproducts.com/downloads/timberwolf/fireplaces/manuals/W415-0865_TPSI35.pdf

Likely something very related to the cleaning ... ensured all internal smoke passages are cleaned of fly ash? Tried setting up jumper to apply power directly to auger? Jumpered around snap discs to ensure they aren't a problem? Double checked to make sure safety switches are functioning properly? Mine stopped contacting with hopper connection ...

You went through the troubleshooting guide on page 42 of manual? http://napoleonproducts.com/downloads/timberwolf/fireplaces/manuals/W415-0865_TPSI35.pdf

Likely something very related to the cleaning ... ensured all internal smoke passages are cleaned of fly ash? Tried setting up jumper to apply power directly to auger? Jumpered around snap discs to ensure they aren't a problem? Double checked to make sure safety switches are functioning properly? Mine stopped contacting with hopper connection ...

Thanks for responding lake girl. Have the tech coming back tomorrow I will show him your post. More things to look at! I'll let you know what happens.

Karol, Forgot to say Welcome to the Forum! There can be multiple reasons an auger won't turn ... hope you kept the original board as it may be just fine. It is just the auger that is not functioning? Exhaust blower starts up? Ensure that stove is unplugged when working inside as you don't want short your board. Hope the tech unplugged before he started cleaning...
1 I use a dryer vent brush and have a hose that I use to snake up into the exhaust passages to clean out as much fly ash on my one ton cleaning but tools used can be very stove dependent. Did the tech pull the combustion blower to clean the blades and remove fly ash from there too? On my stove there is a small cavity that traps ash near the nipple connection that goes to the vacuum line. Replace gasket or ensure good fit if reusable one?
2 Tripped high limit snap disc - snap discs are usually the first thing to check because they are inexpensive. If they are tripped/malfunctioning, the auger won't turn. Over-tightening to stove body can make them inoperable too.
3 Unable to create enough vacuum ... nipple on exhaust end of vacuum line clogged with fly ash from cleaning vent, break/crack in line to switch, rarely vacuum switch but it can happen. Ensure that cleaning doors in firebox are resecured? Door seal failing or hopper seal if it has one (dollar bill test).
4. Safety switches on door or hopper not contacting.
5. Ensure wiring connections - secure and connected appropriately.
6. Jammed auger but that is least likely if it was working before cleaning...

Let us know how you make out...

Karol, Forgot to say Welcome to the Forum! There can be multiple reasons an auger won't turn ... hope you kept the original board as it may be just fine. It is just the auger that is not functioning? Exhaust blower starts up? Ensure that stove is unplugged when working inside as you don't want short your board. Hope the tech unplugged before he started cleaning...
1 I use a dryer vent brush and have a hose that I use to snake up into the exhaust passages to clean out as much fly ash on my one ton cleaning but tools used can be very stove dependent. Did the tech pull the combustion blower to clean the blades and remove fly ash from there too? On my stove there is a small cavity that traps ash near the nipple connection that goes to the vacuum line. Replace gasket or ensure good fit if reusable one?
2 Tripped high limit snap disc - snap discs are usually the first thing to check because they are inexpensive. If they are tripped/malfunctioning, the auger won't turn. Over-tightening to stove body can make them inoperable too.
3 Unable to create enough vacuum ... nipple on exhaust end of vacuum line clogged with fly ash from cleaning vent, break/crack in line to switch, rarely vacuum switch but it can happen. Ensure that cleaning doors in firebox are resecured? Door seal failing or hopper seal if it has one (dollar bill test).
4. Safety switches on door or hopper not contacting.
5. Ensure wiring connections - secure and connected appropriately.
6. Jammed auger but that is least likely if it was working before cleaning...

Let us know how you make out...

Thanks for the add to the forum!

He took off the combustion blower I believe. TAking it home to clean it. I cannot imagine how the high limit switch was affected but it could be. (like I said, this thing worked beautifully until it was cleaned) I had a seal repaired but it looks tight. The hopper seal is fine, that was about the extent of my knowledge, haha.

I'm thinking it's a wiring thing. Something is not making a good connection, jmho. Yea, we've emptied the hopper. It was working before, now it's not. That's what makes me think it's an electrical thing. Not that many working parts on this, still some cleaning to do tomorrow. I'll let ya know how it goes. Many thanks for the ideas.

Snap discs are a common problem as the metal inside the disc body gets fatigued from heat. Since they are part of the electrical system, they have to function as intended otherwise the auger won't turn. Easy way to test the high limit (or any of the limit switches) is to jumper around it. Many techs will have jumper wires set up to connect to the spade connectors that are used on the switches. Jumpering is just to troubleshoot though, so do not run it that way. Safety features are important! Unplug while working inside the cabinet too...

Why is he taking the blower home?? Not that complex to clean ... compressed air to blow out windings, 3-in-1 electric oil if lubrication is needed, brush to clean up blades and mounting plate, new gasket.

Where is the tech from and how high of a bill have you got so far? Sounds like they are throwing expensive parts at it without ruling out the simple first but hard to tell since not there to see ;hm

Hope you are safe from all the nasty weather...

Well all is well. Pulled out stove and put vacuum motor back on after he cleaned it. It was really dirty. Rechecked the connections and just gave it the once over again with the vacuum. Knock wood, it's working great! Sure need it. Snow and ice here now, not a good day to be an outside animal.

Stay safe everyone and pray for those poor folks in Texas. Tornadoes one day and snow the next. God bless Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.