Towing Around Your Splitter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ksting

Sep 21, 2008
Central Connecticut
Found a great new purpose for my son's Go-Kart, towing around the log splitter! How do you lug yours around your property? Pictured is my son's TrailMaster 150XRX with the Craftsman 27 ton splitter hooked up!

IMG_20190904_155519.jpg

Last edited:
Mine stays in its own spot,been there for 5 years now

Lawn Tractor around my yard, ATV around the farm, SUV or Truck up to the 220 acre bush lot.
Depends on where I am going

Reactions: VirginiaIron
The Old Deutz AllIs hauls the wood carts and moves the splitter on the 2 or 3 times a year that it leaves its home under my carport. My mom and nephew are riding around on it in the picture
ad9f4322e83a6758286d3c7912656d74.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Most of them say they are road towable--- well only if you stay under apx 20 mph- above that depending on the road you might end up with it on your front hood. There is no suspension components on most of them so they just start bouncing around like a super ball back there. So if you have any road distance to go at a reasonable clip best to trailer it.

I use a lovely old [1968] Case 195 garden tractor known as the Big Wheel Series for moving it around the property. I would certainly like to post a picture but don't know how to do such things. It is homebuilt with lift table and plenty heavy but the Case moves it without trouble. When I go to help others split and have to use the public highway I put it on the road trailer [5x10] since I never want to have to explain how THAT happened to John Law. Strap it down as if someone's life depends on it, every time.

Most of them say they are road towable--- well only if you stay under apx 20 mph- above that depending on the road you might end up with it on your front hood. There is no suspension components on most of them so they just start bouncing around like a super ball back there. So if you have any road distance to go at a reasonable clip best to trailer it.
And also if you blow out a tire pulling it down the road with a pick up, you will never know like we did. After that, we only haul it on a trailer

Off topic, but is that the original front end for that tractor? I don't know much about old tractors, or any tractors for that matter, but that one looks nice.
Thanks. I think it is the original front end. It was extended in width to accommodate the loader. The loader is tremendously strong with a high lift. The reason I removed the loader is because the loader makes it very difficult to exit the operators seat. Perhaps I will add a roll bar of some sort to protect the operator.
IMG_7167.jpg
IMG_7172.jpg

Thanks. I think it is the original front end. It was extended in width to accommodate the loader. The loader is tremendously strong with a high lift. The reason I removed the loader is because the loader makes it very difficult to exit the operators seat. Perhaps I will add a roll bar of some sort to protect the operator.
View attachment 248552View attachment 248553
That's wicked! I want to get a forestry cage put on my tractor. Most likely it will wait until I build a garage and buy a welder and then I'll make it myself. That's a really sharp tractor you have!

My 37 ton splitter weighs in at close to 600lbs so it stays put in my yard and the wood comes to it, not the other way around. I did move it once though, when I moved myself.

I drag it by hand, slight incline, but those dang tree roots get me every time. Once I lift it and get it somewhat balanced, it's not that bad to move, just lean back, blown out Disc starting to be an issue, looking for used lawn tractor.

ATV, mostly. The odd time with the ride-on. Sometimes by hand, if just repositioning a few feet. It's balanced good and has biggish wheels so moves around pretty easily.

I also B-train it to the woods sometimes like shown above but with ATV. My trailer is a lot smaller than that one, holds around 1/4 cord if I round it up.

Today I used my mower and the HF trailer dolley to relocate my splitter. It worked pretty good. But the splitter was a little heavy for the standard traction of this mower.
Capture+_2019-11-08-18-05-38.png

Reactions: duramaxman05