Top temp for a steel cat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kevin Weis

Minister of Fire
Mar 3, 2018
Union Bridge, Md
So today I was burning seasoned Ash that started off gassing. Secondaries were being burned off at the top of the stove with the wood gas with the stove top going from 350 to about 450, cat crusing around 950. All well and good. As soon as the flames disappeared in the firebox the cat went to 1350 in about 30 seconds. Stove top went down to 300, single wall pipe 18" above the stove about 200. So obviously the cat took on the job of burning the wood gas without raising the stove top or flue temps. So with this said what is the top end temp for a steel cat ? Anything above 1300 and I get nervous. Thoughts welcomed.

1600 is where the washcoat flattens out, regardless of whether it's on steel or ceramic.

When the wash flattens out, the cat doesn't look different to the naked eye, but it has lost a tremendous amount of surface area and has much less exposed catalyst than it did before.

BKVP on Max cat temps

Given that those coil type cat probe thermometers are probably ±200 degrees to start with, 1300 is a good limit to set yourself.

I have the Auber for the cat temp so it's accurate to one degree F. The other temps are with a IR gun. No bimetal thermometers here.

You weren’t even close to overfiring anything.

Reactions: Kevin Weis