Top plate question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

superking_

Apr 5, 2017
Maryland
Can I pour a concrete or mortar on top of my top plate and if so, is there a reason I should not do so? Currently my top plate sits lower than the surrounding chimney brick and water collects on top. Its pretty well sealed with silicone atm, but I know it will leak one day. Any recommendation? Thanks.

Top plate question Top plate question

I'd get a chase cover made by a tin knocker before going the mortar route.

I debated between chase cover or outside mount rain cap and ended up going with the outside mount... which was more expensive of course ;em . In hindsight it was probably the wrong choice but now I am loathe to change it. What problems would the concrete or mortar create other than making the plate difficult to remove if it ever had to be?

I debated between chase cover or outside mount rain cap and ended up going with the outside mount... which was more expensive of course ;em . In hindsight it was probably the wrong choice but now I am loathe to change it. What problems would the concrete or mortar create other than making the plate difficult to remove if it ever had to be?
It will crack unless you pour it 2,5 to 3" thick.
It would be much easier to just cut a flat piece of stainless the size of the top with a hole in for the liner