top baffle plate for buck stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

smmm

Hearth Supporter
Aug 1, 2010
Ohio
I might be off on my terms or buck stove is off. I'm guessing it is me. There is a sheet of metal just above the secondary tubes that is about 1/4" thick. On top of that is the insulation. The sheet of metal is warped from the heat. I ordered a new one, or so I thought, from buck stove. The sent me a white, more rigid insulation. What is the plate called just above the secondary tubes on the buck stoves?

The rigid board you are calling rigid insulation is most likely a replacement for the steel plate that warped on you.

Many of the new stoves have that C-Cast Fiber Board used as a baffle plate and to make the stove even more efficient a layer of Ceramic Fiber insulation is laid on top of the rigid board to keep the fire box temps even higher for secondary burn.

As long as your careful and not throwing your wood in the stove and its not recommended that you load any higher than about 2 inches from the secondary tubes or not to load any higher than the fire brick, then you shouldn't damage the fiber board. Many do load higher but be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.