Tools?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BethelStrong

Dec 12, 2018
Ohio
What’s your favorite tool(s) for your stove?

My mom found an old fireplace set at an auction, so I have that. Not good. It has a poker, broom and other things. I just don’t need that. I find myself only using another really cheap shovel for everything and not even touching the set. I’m thinking ditch the clutter, just a shovel. I just lay it on the hearth.

Is there a good brass shovel out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most use comes from a poker with a short 90* bend on the end. It comes with BK stoves new. My shovel handles the rest. They both reside underneath the stove most of the time. Nothing else required for me.

Reactions: BethelStrong
The shovel is the only tool I use. The rest just hang on the stand.

Reactions: BethelStrong
I agree with the leather glove. Maybe another one hidden behind the stove just in case chaos happens.

Any brand suggestions?

I’m Minimalist, but not cheap. This stove is like the guy who hates jewelry, but has a nice watch. I real expensive one that keeps time better, but he’s had it a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shovel, gloves and a small whisk broom.

I have a rake, shovel and a small brush to clean the inevitable mess after every load.

I have a metal probe with a loop to hang it with on one end and short bend on the other. My boiler loads from the side and its small firebox so if a piece of wood goes in crooked I need to move it around and this probe works great. I also have a small broom and dustpan.

The most important tool for me is a water based fire extinguisher. I have dry chemical version for when I am really in trouble but having had to clean up after a dry chemical release I would rather use the water based one if possible. I also can refill it and recharge the water based one at home.