Tools to monitor stove, stove pipe and chimney temps, and draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hoytman

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2020
Ohio
Wasn't sure where to put this, so I hope this is the right place.

Are any of you monitoring your stove and chimney temperatures and draft with measuring devices?

What are some of the tools you are using?

I just ordered a Dwyer Mark II model 25 manometer and I plan on getting a magnahelic later as well, likely a 2000HA series by Dwyer. The model 25 won't be permanently mounted because I hate the way it looks.

I am wanting to monitor internal stove pipe temps as well is chimney temperatures near the top of my chimney. Wanting to do this before doing any work to the chimney so that I have a baseline reference of how the changes will effect things, both for myself and so I can share information with others here.

Also, wanting to get some numbers before changing my stove liner so I can have some real world comparison numbers as to how the changes effect my set-up.

I'd love to see some pictures of set-ups some of you have and here recommendations.

I suppose the ideal progression of this would be: to be able to monitor all of this by my phone...just not sure how expensive that could get. That would allow me to monitor my stove at all times even when I am away from home. However, wall mounted or even handheld units would be fine.

Wanting @coaly to see this as well.

I don't have any tools for measuring the draft in my stove pipe but for the other things you're looking for:

This is what I use to measure my catalyst temp:

I wait till it reads 600 and activate the catalyst.

For measuring pipe temperature I use this probe:

Amazon product ASIN B000LZDVAU
Always keep your flue temps in the orange zone for optimum flue temps.

You can see where I have installed the catalyst temp probe on my stove in my profile picture.

There are some electronic temp monitoring systems, but I don't know much about those and will let others discuss that area :)

Wasn't sure where to put this, so I hope this is the right place.

Are any of you monitoring your stove and chimney temperatures and draft with measuring devices?

What are some of the tools you are using?

I just ordered a Dwyer Mark II model 25 manometer and I plan on getting a magnahelic later as well, likely a 2000HA series by Dwyer. The model 25 won't be permanently mounted because I hate the way it looks.

I am wanting to monitor internal stove pipe temps as well is chimney temperatures near the top of my chimney. Wanting to do this before doing any work to the chimney so that I have a baseline reference of how the changes will effect things, both for myself and so I can share information with others here.

Also, wanting to get some numbers before changing my stove liner so I can have some real world comparison numbers as to how the changes effect my set-up.

I'd love to see some pictures of set-ups some of you have and here recommendations.

I suppose the ideal progression of this would be: to be able to monitor all of this by my phone...just not sure how expensive that could get. That would allow me to monitor my stove at all times even when I am away from home. However, wall mounted or even handheld units would be fine.

Wanting @coaly to see this as well.
I have seen a few custom built setups used. But auber instruments makes some good them monitors. As far as monitoring draft you seem to have it under control. There really isn't a need to monitor constantly

I ordered a Fireboard from Scheels the other day. Don't have it yet, but that would put your temperature answers on your phone. There's a thread on the Fireboard on the furnace forum.

The only thing I use is a probe thermometer 18" above the stove, and I just installed that a couple weeks ago. I'd be curious to see what my draft is, all I know is lots, I've got 36' from the top of my stove to the cap. But I'm not allowed to spend more money on "gadgets" for the stove.

Post up your results when you get it setup, I'm curious to see. I know I've learned a few unexpected things by just installed the probe thermometer.

Reactions: bholler
All I am using is the combustor probe indicator to know when I can engage the combustor, and I have a Condor probe through my double wall into the exhaust stream to monitor exhaust gas temps.

If I wasn't a regulated burner I would ditch the flue gas probe. But I got the smog police in my area, and they just tightened the screws on opacity limits for cold starts. So I have to run my stove pretty hard to get it up to temperature so I can get the combustor engaged so I have a clean plume in however many minutes, I use the exhaust temp probe to make sure I am not overheating my pipe trying to get it done.

You can figure out where your exhaust gas temp crosses under 250 d Farenheit with with your chimney brush. Mine brushes pretty clean (bottom up) to the last couple feet where the crud is, so I know on average the exhaust gas temp crosses under 250dF about two feet from the top.

Reactions: Hoytman