Too small to burn regular logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Alaskalinder

Sep 23, 2022
Alaska
I disdain my new Regency 1500 and I truly wish I could get my old cast iron wood/ coal stove back. A half a log max fits in the box. I'm going to basically have to cut every piece of wood I have into kindling. It takes forever to start and in the middle of the night when I get up to throw more water on the fire is already out after 6 hours. You cannot damp it down enough to slow the burn.
Tremendously disappointed

The 1500 will burn 18" logs. 16" is pretty standard for cordwood. It's not the stove's fault, this should have been investigated before purchasing. It's only a 1.3 cu ft firebox which is too small for overnight burns.

Reactions: Butfumbl3
I disdain my new Regency 1500 and I truly wish I could get my old cast iron wood/ coal stove back. A half a log max fits in the box. I'm going to basically have to cut every piece of wood I have into kindling. It takes forever to start and in the middle of the night when I get up to throw more water on the fire is already out after 6 hours. You cannot damp it down enough to slow the burn.
Tremendously disappointed

Well then why did you buy it?

Reactions: Butfumbl3
The 1500 is an E/W loader which means that typically it can only hold about 1.1 cu ft of wood before getting concerned about the wood rolling up against the glass. That is a very limited amount of fuel. Is there any possibility of trading up to the Regency 2450 or 2500? With greater fuel capacity, either one will provide an 8-10 hr burn. If you need longer than that, what other brands are available?

Reactions: Alaskalinder
Well then why did you buy it?
I didn't! I live in Alaska and my old cast iron was taken away, swapped out through our interior weatherization program. I was told I was getting a 3500 and I did lots of investigating on that! But when they showed up they said oh you're getting the 1500

The 1500 is an E/W loader which means that typically it can only hold about 1.1 cu ft of wood before getting concerned about the wood rolling up against the glass. That is a very limited amount of fuel. Is there any possibility of trading up to the Regency 2450 or 2500? With greater fuel capacity, either one will provide an 8-10 hr burn. If you need longer than that, what other brands are available?
That is a wonderful idea and I will check into it.
thank you very much

I didn't! I live in Alaska and my old cast iron was taken away, swapped out through our interior weatherization program. I was told I was getting a 3500 and I did lots of investigating on that! But when they showed up they said oh you're getting the 1500

They just knocked on your door and said we are taking your stove? That's crazy, when did Alaska become communist?

Reactions: dafattkidd and Todd
They just knocked on your door and said we are taking your stove? That's crazy, when did Alaska become communist?
I was wondering that myself. I mean like do the wood stove police show up and take your stove?

There will be a learning curve with the new stove. What kind of wood do you burn and how long is it seasoned?
A 1.1 cu ft box won't burn long (enough, in Alaska) even after the learning curve has saturated.

Reactions: bholler
Well not exactly. They swapped out his old stove for a new one which is much better (although possibly undersized) for free.

It's not the the state it's the Borough. The interior is down in a hole so when the temperature drops well into the -'s all the pollution hangs low and the air becomes unhealthy to breath. Their answer to the problem is to change out woodstoves to modern ones that burn cleaner and even at that they tell us we can't burn when it gets really cold. Problem with their solution is the woodstoves are not the problem. When you have coal plants, tens of thousands of oil boilers that may have not been serviced for a decade, thousands of cars and numerous other smoke bellowing devices your going to have unhealthy air. They have even overreached far enough that it's now illegal to sell green firewood. They figure the average homeowner is incapable of seasoning their own firewood the way mother nature intended, instead it has to be kiln dried, wonder how much pollution that kiln provides 🤔

I was wondering that myself. I mean like do the wood stove police show up and take your stove?
Nope they show up and fine you for keeping your house warm. You can have a old woodstove, just can't light a fire in it during cold weather. We know a elderly person who has since passed away that use to heat with wood. When this whole change-out program started her stove was replaced with a modern stove half the size of the old one. The new stove wouldn't heat the kitchen where it was installed let alone the whole house like the old one did. Not sure who decides what stove you get but there seems to be a problem.

You also need to be sure and read the fine print when participating in one of these programs.

• I understand that I will be required to sign a deed restriction that restricts all future installations of wood, pellet, and coal burning appliances on this property.
• I understand that any wood, pellet, and/or coal burning appliances that are to remain on the property must be registered with ADEC prior to reimbursement.

The list goes on and on. You can check it out at:

Last edited:
Well not exactly. They swapped out his old stove for a new one which is much better (although possibly undersized) for free.
There is nothing free. Where you think the borough gets the money to buy all these undersized wood stoves? My old stove probably didn't qualify for the change out because it was a catalyst and not that old but I didn't even think about using the program, I just bought the stove I wanted and got on with my life. I have yet to see a government program that doesn't cost the taxpayers millions.

There is nothing free. Where you think the borough gets the money to buy all these undersized wood stoves? My old stove probably didn't qualify for the change out because it was a catalyst and not that old but I didn't even think about using the program, I just bought the stove I wanted and got on with my life. I have yet to see a government program that doesn't cost the taxpayers millions.
Yes of course it's paid for by tax dollars. My comment was in response to the people acting like the op was forced to give up their old stove and buy a new one. That simply is not the case. And btw the research indicates that wood burners are a major contributor to the air quality issues. I don't know personally because I don't live there. But the data says it is.

Living here in NorCal and recently having a 40k acre and 80k acre fire within 100 miles, I can't see how wood stoves impact air quality to any significant degree.

Living here in NorCal and recently having a 40k acre and 80k acre fire within 100 miles, I can't see how wood stoves impact air quality to any significant degree.
Not uncommon in an area where smoke is trapped in a geographic location that is prone to smoke buildup in winter due to temperature inversions. When hundreds or thousands of people start having health issues due to smoke, it becomes a public problem. Libby, MT, the Puget Sound region, and parts of VT all have this issue.

smoke_pollution_nz.jpg