Too much horizontal run on stove pipe? Jotul F55.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Toploader

Burning Hunk
Sep 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
Hey guys I'm hoping to get some opinions on a problem I'm having with a Jotul F55 I set up for someone. They chose to offset the stove 30" from the Selkirk chimney and wanted to have the stovepipe go straight up[about 4 ft.] and then 90 across horizontally and then 90 up to the chimney which goes through the ceiling. There's 13 and a half ft of chimney from the ceiling up and half of that is above the roof. From the stove up the total rise is about 17 1/2 ft to 2 1/2 ft of run.
I wanted them to located the stove closer to the chimney but they refused and wanted to try going vertical/horizontal with the stovepipe as well. So now after one break-in fire it's obvious that the stove will smoke when the door is open and I'm wondering if going with 45 degree elbows on the stovepipe might fix the problem or is the stove just too far from the chimney. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks; Brian

The manual for the F 500 and other Jotuls' says a horizontal run to the vertical can be no more then 36 inches with a 1/4 inch rise per foot. your 30 inches plus the bends is too restrictive. Looks like it is time to move the stove closer to the vertical.

Softening the sharp 90º turns with 45s should help.

The manual for the F 500 and other Jotuls' says a horizontal run to the vertical can be no more then 36 inches with a 1/4 inch rise per foot. your 30 inches plus the bends is too restrictive. Looks like it is time to move the stove closer to the vertical.
Sounds like it's within spec, but still not working. If they are talking about a horizontal run, the two 90s are implied. I would think the 45s should certainly help, I just don't know how much. Was it very cold out when the break-in fire took place?
Stephenville, huh? Did you see anything? :cool:

Too much horizontal run on stove pipe? Jotul F55. Thanks for the replies, Moving the hearth would be almost out of the question now as it's all tiled and surrounded by wood floor. The tiles are hand made by the owner who is a potter and I made the mahogany wood border and laid the floor. I guess I will give the 45's a try it wasn't really cold when I did the break-in fire, just above freezing, but still cold enough to need a fire and make a chimney draught. Not sure when I'll get this done but I will report back.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Sounds like it's within spec, but still not working. If they are talking about a horizontal run, the two 90s are implied. I would think the 45s should certainly help, I just don't know how much. Was it very cold out when the break-in fire took place?
Stephenville, huh? Did you see anything? :cool:

No, I did not see the city ship, but others including a constable saw the thing. Getting way off topic, when the FAA was sued under the freedom of information act for their radar data;, it was revealed the Carswell Joint Base scrambled F-16's due to the radar image proceeding toward President Bush's Crawford ranch, then the signal vanished.

Reactions: Woody Stover