Too Hot!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tnt4him

Mar 3, 2018
Beaverton Oregon
I have a 2006 Quadra-fire Castile insert and until recently everything was fine. After figuring out why it is not turning on because of the thermal switch popped I came to the conclusion that it is feeding too many pellets into the burn pot and making too big of a flame. It gets too hot and the thermal switch pops again. I tried adjusting the control knob on the control box from 4 to 5 and that did not help. I cleaned out the fireplace and burn pot. I adjusted the door gasket (and ordered a new one). The flame is wicking all the way up to the cover plate. It is yellow orange and I feel unsafe at that big of a flame.

Close up the feed adjustment plate in the hopper. If that does not help you may need to give it a good thorough cleaning including the vent pipe.

Is the control box feeding continuously?? If so, something is wrong with the timer triac. When you changed box setting from 4 to 5, isn't that the +10 percent feed setting? You might check that. Did you change fuel? If its burning sluggish and building up in the burnpot, then like ssyko said, could just need adjusting, or stove air flow is not adequate to burn properly. Is the bottom of the burnpot closing (the half moon plate underneath?). If feeding continuously though, could be bad control box...

Reactions: Overfireinthehole
If you blew the manual reset your probably clogged in the exhaust. Lark is right though, turn it back down on the board, set your frap road down to half and turn the heat switch to medium. If it’s still getting too much then, your not getting enough airflow or your board probably got hit by a surge and is sending constant power to the auger motor.