Today’s haul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
As I have mentioned before, I have a Vigilant fetish. I have been experimenting with some more welding on the fireback on my beloved stove, which led me, as it often does to perusing marketplace and craigslist for a parts stove with a 2 piece back.
I found this sweetheart of a stove 3 hours from me, made arrangements, agreed on a price of 500 and a half gallon of syrup. Made it there by 8am and back home by 11:30, I decided even though it looked perfect I needed to knock it apart and redo all the joints and get in and see for myself before putting it into service. Its just too nice to cannibalize. I managed to get everything out of the inside and get all the tie rods out without single broken bolt. Except for the air passage in the back which had a 12/82 date and one leg which is somewhere in 84’ all the castings are between 10/83 and 12/83. By 4:00 this afternoon I had it all glued together and the innards all back in. I left it to set up overnight and tomorrow I will wire wheel the excess off and paint it. For now I will leave the cast door inserts in, but I am going to get glass for it. I am very excited, this one is in really nice shape. I don’t believe it saw much use at all and appears to have never been apart before.
I should have taken pictures all apart, but I never remember to.

IMG_4513.jpeg

IMG_4514.jpeg

IMG_4515.jpeg

IMG_4519.jpeg

IMG_4517.jpeg

IMG_4520.jpeg

IMG_4521.jpeg

IMG_4522.jpeg

IMG_4523.jpeg

Reactions: Madscrambler