To Hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale.Z

Hearth Supporter
Mar 14, 2009
East TN
Pacific Energy Summit Insert, Condar surface thermometer installed right hand corner above the door. Question: Is this reading the true temperature of the stove?

[Hearth.com] To Hot?

I think your A.O.K.
If it gets to pass the 700 mark I would consider it as too much IMO.

Hog reported this morning that's what he is seeing. The assumption is that the stovetop is a bit hotter. Maybe try closing down the air a little sooner, say around 450°F?

For comparison, our T6 (a Summit at heart), often runs up to 650-700 on the stove top during peak secondary burning with a good load of wood. If I gave it more air it would head to the 750-800 range easily, but I don't go there.

Is what your asking is that an accurate place to measure temp on an insert? I find myself doubting the thermometer readings of my insert because its really hard find a place to put it.

I love seeing that number....thats when I totally shut down the air and let her rip. Woodburnin paradise for me. I keep my thermometer on top of the stove in the center of the firebox.

get and IR thermometer to check. My stovetop thermometer, after 2 seasons, reads ~75 degrees on the cool side.

Mine has been staying about the 750 mark and I was told anything below 900 was tolerable. Still learning how to control the beast myself!

Measuring at the same location and comparing is great, but I would suggest comparing the thermometer to at least one other measurement device as the icescrapper suggests. Another option for this would be to place the Condar on a pizza stone in an oven for a couple of hrs at a various temps... Keeping in mind that oven thermostats are often not very accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.