To heat shield or not to heat shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ySmokincoals

Sep 22, 2015
center point,ia
Hi all ,first time post. Been lurking on her for a couple years now wonderful site thanks for all the info. 3 years ago we moved in and inherited an old vigilant. Thus beginning my wood stove experience. The short version is bottoms cracked needs resealed burns a ton of wood. I am replacing it with a f600. My vc has a heat shield on back and right. Need to know if the 600 will need this option. The hearth is 60x65 with tile around that. The chimney brick is 15x15 roughly this will be the closest to the stove. That and the bottom. What do you think? How much heat can this type of brick handle and how hot is the 600 in back? Lay some experience on me. Thanks your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
The brick will be fine even without a heat shield. If there is nothing combustible behind the brick you should be good.
The F600 is better loaded from the side than the front. You will need to leave some room there. However, since your white tiles seem to be non-combustible you should be ok regarding clearances.
The F600 will also need a 6" pipe. Is there a 6" steel liner in the chimney?

Flue is 7 inch clay tile through the center of the house. Not much room for insulating it but I don't think I need it anyway. That is probably a different thread though. Thanks for the reply. Who makes the most durable single wall rigid liner?

Looks like no rear heat shield is needed . . . I suspect you can buy the Jotul heat shield and install it at a later date should you decide to do so. I went with a rear heat shield from the get go with my Oslo . . . namely because I wanted the tighter clearances and wanted to "protect" the wall a bit more from the heat.

Well I guess the horse came before the cart. Feb 28 craigslist find found me talking to a fellow wood burner only 15 minutes from me he had bought himself a brown enamel Jotul and was selling his blue black F600. It was 5 years old and in great shape so I went for it and was able to tie it in to existing tile to finish off the shoulder season. What an amazing stove!!! Review to come. So back to the liner. My chimney has a cleanout by the bottom of the hearth. should I continue the liner from the t- snout downward or not. Just trying to get my order list in order. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful stove, looks great in there