to get a damper or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pack2rule

Dec 16, 2019
Indiana
I have read a lot about putting a damper in the stove pipe line now that I have mine set up.
Would a damper keep the heat longer? I am not getting but 4-5 hours out of my stove.

I have a Country Health 2000 stove and need it to heat longer when I am gone during the day.
I am using seasoned hard wood.

The manual for that stove states: "Installation of a "barometric draft stabilizer" (fireplace register) on a smoke exhaust system is prohibited. Furthermore, installation of a draft damper is not recommended. Indeed, with a controlled combustion
wood stove, the draft is regulated upon intake of the combustion air in the stove and not at the exhaust."

Reactions: Triggaaar
The manual for that stove states: "Installation of a "barometric draft stabilizer" (fireplace register) on a smoke exhaust system is prohibited. Furthermore, installation of a draft damper is not recommended. Indeed, with a controlled combustion
wood stove, the draft is regulated upon intake of the combustion air in the stove and not at the exhaust."
That is what I thought but a friend was telling me otherwise. I wanted to ask the experts.