To Frame or Not to Frame... through-the-wall install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Kelly

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
I've been on this forum a lot in the past weeks. Wife thinks I'm obsessive compulsive. She'll be thankful when the house is warmed with a nice stove.

Opinion:

Dealer has said that a through-the-wall install needs a 12" wooden frame inserted inside the wall to house/attach the hardware for the outside wall chimney.

A couple of installers say... "baloney, don't need it".

Does your install include the frame?

Check the install manual for the brand of chimney that you're installing.
THAT is the gospel. If it's a tested & approved brand, you HAFTA follow
the manufacturer's guidelines.
Otherwise you're not compliant & putting yourself & others in potential danger.

For my 6" class A chim, it called for a 12" square opening through which the pipe passed. This provides the required 2" min clearance around the pipe. (Outside dia of 6" pipe is 8"). It also provides a stop for the insulation, etc. I don't think it has anything to do with attaching the chim on the outside. The support bracket on the outside is mounted below this opening. It just provides the correct clearance.

Thanks for your replies...

But, did you have to insert a 12" 2x4 frame attached to the inside framing to firm it all up? Quite a few instruction manuals detail the install, and have this as a part of the necessary plan to attach the thimble apparatus and the outside bracket.

What do you think?

I had forgotten but I guess the thimble did attach to the 12x12 2x4 framing. Without the 2x4s you would only be attaching the inside half of the thimble to sheetrock. No matter how you frame, you have to cut a 12x12 hole in the wall. It is a more secure opening if you put the 2x4s in. As far as the outside support bracket, that is mounted well below the hole in the wall. The outside "TEE" goes into the thimble and the bracket mounts to the house below that.

There are ways to skimp on everything, but I feel it is worth the small effort to frame the opening.

As a installer I always frame in a wall pass through.Your tee support well need this framing for a anchor point also. You might need another backer board depending on how your tee support bolts to the wall.

Mr. Kelly said:
I've been on this forum a lot in the past weeks. Wife thinks I'm obsessive compulsive. . . .

The wife is right . . . but it's OK Mr. Kelly . . . you're one of us now and we think you're perfectly normal so disregard the men in the white coats, wife and neighbors who think you're compulsive and nuts and who tell you have a problem and you're an addict . . . a hearth.com addict. ;) :)

madison said:
Is there a good reason NOT to frame?

Well, several of the installers have said that they won't do the framing, and others say that they never frame. So, if I went with the former, I'd have to find a carpenter to build in the frame, or with the later, I'd have to trust the stability of the install and installer. Third option is to keep looking for installers who will do the frame inclusively. However, it's a pain in the butt to get guys over here, and I'm getting impatient!

Thank you firefighterjake for acknowledging that my compulsiveness keeps good company!

Burn on!

Any installers out there that will only install exterior chimneys if it's framed in with 12"x12"?

Status
Not open for further replies.