To alcove or not to alcove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CottageSteve

Jan 31, 2020
New Brunswick
Wet behind the ear (not WETT) newbie question. I purchased a cottage with an exceptional stone chimney and stainless insert which according to the WETT tech I hired to certify has a wood stove that needs replacing.

I started my search this morning and within an hour was advised by a reputable retailer and installer that this is considered an alcove, and that the ceiling clearance outlined in the specifications of the Drolet 1800 that was recommended is a measurement from the floor to the bottom of the mantle and not to the bottom of the catwalk above.

I cannot locate a definition of a wood stove alcove to determine is correct.

I do not have an exact measurement yet to the mantle but would estimate it to have been 5’.

can anyone shed some (fire)light on this?

Attachments

• To alcove or not to alcove
    36225230-6547-4A49-BD08-66EE097FC59F.png
    442.6 KB · Views: 134
Alcove specs are based on distances to combustibles. This setup looks more like a full masonry enclosure with no combustibles. Is the mantel poured concrete? What is behind this fireplace?

Alcove specs are based on distances to combustibles. This setup looks more like a full masonry enclosure with no combustibles. Is the mantel poured concrete? What is behind this fireplace?
Poured concrete mantle, approximately 6” thick, same as the floor, behind the stove is stone and concrete inches thick making up the chimney above it all

That doesn't sound like an alcove.

I’m not sure what an alcove is defined as, thus the reason for my post. Is WETT certification not a clearly defined set of guidelines to be strictly adhered to, as mandated by the government and demanded by insurance companies? Or is there lots of fog and grey areas left open to interpretation? I think I know the reasons behind the whole thing but I’m still sitting here confused and without a clear answer.

I guess another question that has come to light is why I’m also being directed to the alcove approved stoves, which do not meet their definition of clearance if this may not be an alcove at all?

Not being in Canada, it's hard to say whether this is a matter of opinion or something that is clearly defined. There are no combustibles in this install so I think it's a stretch to call in alcove clearance requirements. Regardless, your mantel is non-combustible so that clearance is not applicable in this circumstance. I would find a few most desired stoves and then contact the manufacturer.