TNC-30 (NC-30) Finally in and operating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonShumway

Hearth Supporter
Dec 14, 2010
Nebraska
I was finally able to hook up the stove and fire it up this weekend. Fitting because today we got our first real snowfall for the winter (8-10 in.). I will post pics once i can get the sd card to cooperate. I do have a question for those out there who have used similar stoves. I have heard mixed opinions on what temp is a good operating temp and what is consider an overfire. I have a cheap stove top thermometer from Menards and not sure if it is good or not, but I can't get a good secondary burn unless I hit the 600-650 degree range, which on this gauge is in the overfire range. So I am curious at what stage would someone consider it an overfire temp on this type of stove. Is that burning too hot? And out of the loads I have burned some of them have gone up to 700. Not sure what type of wood I am burning but I do know its seasoned well. I believe mostly mulberry, since that is what our property has a lot of. Thanks for any input.

I prefer to keep it under the 700 mark as measured from the hottest spot of the stove top I can find (front center, just at the front edge of the step up). Occasional jumps up to 750 happen (like this morning) with the right circumstances, but in general I try and keep it below that.

pen

I looked at the manual online and they instruct care be given to not overfire the stove but do not specify a temp.
Their contact info for any technical questions is phone 800-245-6489 email is [email protected]

Hope this helps

Here are some pics of stove (tnc-30). Still have some finish work to do on the hearth like trim and vent covers.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] TNC-30 (NC-30) Finally in and operating
    stovefront1.webp
    79.5 KB · Views: 387
    stoveside1.webp
    114.7 KB · Views: 379
I like the large window in this stove.

Attachments

fire1.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 358
    fire2.webp
    46.9 KB · Views: 361
Thanks for the info Pen and Woodsavage.

just becareful loading splits in all criss cross that you don't damage those ceramic baffle plates. They will last for years and years if you never touch them w/ anything. One good bump by a log or a poker and it just cost you 60 bucks.

pen

Looks nice. One comment I have is, I think the stoves appearence is better with the legs instead of the base.

I think my wife would agree with you about the legs tho I thought she also would have liked all the trim options but to my surprise she likes the very basic look. I was just concerned about a 400lbs stove having 4 legs that all the weight was on possibly breaking the tiles. I'm guessing I'm just being overly cautious. But that is something that will most likely happen this summer. It does bring up a question tho- will legs put of more heat on a stove vs a pedestal due to more surface area exposed?

I have a 30-nc starter kit (on legs) and I've found I need to bring it to 600-650 in order to get the burn cycle I want.

GordonShumway said:
I think my wife would agree with you about the legs tho I thought she also would have liked all the trim options but to my surprise she likes the very basic look. I was just concerned about a 400lbs stove having 4 legs that all the weight was on possibly breaking the tiles. I'm guessing I'm just being overly cautious. But that is something that will most likely happen this summer. It does bring up a question tho- will legs put of more heat on a stove vs a pedestal due to more surface area exposed?

My pedestal base stays very cool despite high stove temps. So I'm saying no to the surface area difference.

pen

I have a question about the trim for the face of the hearth pad. The stove manual states that you just need 16" in front of stove, I have 18". Is it ok to have edge trim overlap from the face trim to the top of tile to cover imperfections of tile line? Because from everything else I read 18" is the minimum and trim would decrease that amount. No building inspector in the area to ask.

Are you using bullnose tile for the face, or wood trim? You could always do bullnose then wood below it on the face, the run a thin strip across the front face where they meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.