Tired of my Homelite UT10519 and need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Theodore2

May 8, 2018
New York
Hi,
I have an 7 year old Homelite UT10519 18" chainsaw (bought new from a big box store) and ...I'm fed up with it. After rarely using it, I've had it serviced 3x in two years and each time the same issue: starts without issue but idles in super high speed, and then choke automatically starts to close and it shuts off. Only way it stays on is if I SIMULTANEOUSLY keep the choke 1/2 way open and pull the trigger at same time. Basically, I'm keeping my focus more on the choke/throttle more than my cuts or even my safety. Each time it's serviced, it's good for about 2weeks then goes off whack again. I can't imagine all chainsaws are this temperamental, but I have very little experience as this is my only saw ever.

Is this typical chainsaw engine behavior?
Time to get a new one? or service it AGAIN??

Advice appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore

Sounds like it's starving for gas, what type of fuel/oil are you using, and has the carb been deep cleaned? Have you ever stored it with untreated fuel for more than a few months at a time? Check the fuel filter and tank as well, my have some chit floating around in there.

Nothing floating in the tank, always stored with treated fuel (I make ~SURE~ of that). Carb was cleaned upon servicing each time. Hence my frustration. Each time I've serviced, the tech always fusses with the two "pac-man" adjustment screws because he says they've needed adjustment. Sounds like you're advocating servicing it again??

Nothing floating in the tank, always stored with treated fuel (I make ~SURE~ of that). Carb was cleaned upon servicing each time. Hence my frustration. Each time I've serviced, the tech always fusses with the two "pac-man" adjustment screws because he says they've needed adjustment. Sounds like you're advocating servicing it again??
Oops I thought you said home life

Yeah its frustrating having a tool which doesn't work properly when you need it to
There are quite a few saws on the market which give really good service for the money
I've been using a Husqvarna 455 which has seen a lot of general use for over 4 years and it has given me no issues

My Husqvarna is about 30 or 40 years old believe it or not and the only problem it is I had to have the gas tube feeder replaced in the gas tank this year due to ethanol

Hi,
I have an 7 year old Homelite UT10519 18" chainsaw (bought new from a big box store) and ...I'm fed up with it. After rarely using it, I've had it serviced 3x in two years and each time the same issue: starts without issue but idles in super high speed, and then choke automatically starts to close and it shuts off. Only way it stays on is if I SIMULTANEOUSLY keep the choke 1/2 way open and pull the trigger at same time. Basically, I'm keeping my focus more on the choke/throttle more than my cuts or even my safety. Each time it's serviced, it's good for about 2weeks then goes off whack again. I can't imagine all chainsaws are this temperamental, but I have very little experience as this is my only saw ever.

Is this typical chainsaw engine behavior?
Time to get a new one? or service it AGAIN??

Advice appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore

Find a new shop and fully explain the situation, I'm almost 100% sure it's a fuel problem, likely the carb. 7 years old and "rarely using it" throws up all kinds of red flags for me. Better yet just buy a new carb for about $30 and I bet your problems go away.

Reactions: blacktail
Homelite isn't one of the most durable saws. Iv know people over the years with them.. alot of them have just given up on them and went out and got Husqvarna..the homelites never seam to run right or last..

I had a Homelite Super XL that was my Grandfathers, it was a beast, but heavy. I cut cord after cord with that saw until it was just done.

Had a Homelite 360 for years. When it died my dealer talked me into a Jonsread. Took it back the same day and bought another 360. Now it's only Stihl