Tire patch kits- how big of a hole will they seal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
I woke up this morning to a flat tire. I looked and saw what I thought was a roofing nail head.

Auto parts store opened 730. I picked up a patch kit. When I got back, I noticed my roofing nail’s head had 5 sides. Uh oh.

It ended up being a 3/8” lag. The kit held. It’s the biggest patch I’ve ever done. I’m not sure how much bigger they’ll seal.

Tire patch kits- how big of a hole will they seal?Tire patch kits- how big of a hole will they seal?Tire patch kits- how big of a hole will they seal?Tire patch kits- how big of a hole will they seal?

Just curious--do not they have some kind of sealent that they pump into the tire and it fixes it--but that's a good size hole...clancey

There are glues that you can pump into a tire, but they’re a temporary fix. Fix a Flat and Slime are 2 brand names of this kind of fix. You use the bolt or nail to help seal the hole. With this kit, I removed the lag bolt, cleaned the hole with a rasp, and then inserted a piece of rope into the hole that had additional cement on it to help close everything up.

Auto repair shops have options for larger holes that you remove the tire and patch from the inside.

Reactions: clancey
Auto repair shops have options for larger holes that you remove the tire and patch from the inside.
A hot patch on the inside of the tire is the best type for a permanent fix
Plugs work but can leak in the future, especially on a large hole that takes more than one plug

Just curious--do not they have some kind of sealent that they pump into the tire and it fixes it--but that's a good size hole...clancey
If you want your mechanic to like you, don't use those sealant (slime) things. They make a g*dawful mess of your rims.

In case of (true) emergency (as in it's a safety issue, not a convenience issue), I'd use it. Better a mess than getting hurt. But other than that, don't use the stuff you spray into the tires...

Fix a flat and slime suck when they set up. There is a compound called Ride On that is a balancing/sealant compound that doesn't set up like the others. It just wiped off. I run it in my bike tires.

As a permanent fix you should have it pulled and patched.

To get off the back roads my uncle once stuck 3 cords in the same hole before it held any air. I considered any repair where the wheel stays in the rim a temporary fix.

you cannot use the slime of other tire repair products that you pour into the valve stem on tires with the TPM in them. I have repaired tires like that with multiple plugs and they have been leak free for the life of the tire, I also use the tire patch glue when putting them in for a little additional sealing help.

Slime in a tpms will ruin it. I’ve done some real sketchy stuff with the rope plugs and if installed properly, they’ll be fine. Rule of thumb is as long as it is 1.5”-2” away from sidewall you’re good.

Chances are good it’ll wear the tire out. On 16 ply trailer tires I’ve been know to drill them out with a bit bigger bit than that to even get the plug in them. I fully agree with the others that pull and internal patch is best practice but…

I have 4.5-5 hours of highway driving on the patch so far. Pressure is holding.