Timberwolf TPI35 issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GGustavsen

Jan 2, 2019
New York
My TPI35 pellet insert is not behaving. Something is causing the vacuum switch to prevent the auger from turning. Here is a list of things I’ve done so far:

-cleaned chimney
-cleaned out firebox and side ports
-cleaned exhaust blower and replaced gasket
-cleaned combustion blower
-checked vacuum hose
-ensured the vacuum port of the back of the firebox was clear
-replaced vacuum switch
-replaced door gasket
-replaced glass gasket(messed that up, actually broke the glass when it came up to temperature...)
-replaced glass...

Those that are familiar with the unit, the door glass gasket is only on three sides. The bottom is open to maybe keep the glass clean? The stove only functions if I block the bottom of the glass with gasket material. But this causes the glass to turn black quick.

My problem is vacuum related. I’ve bypassed the switch as part of my troubleshooting and that caused the stove to function correctly.

This all started because I noticed pellets not burning properly. A lot of black ash and pellets piling up. That caused me to replace the door and glass gasket. When I did the glass gasket, I foolishly put the gasket all the way around the glass. The stove functionioned at this point but the glass got dirty quick. Then I removed the bottom glass gasket. That’s when the pellets stopped dropping. I put the gasket material back and the pellets drop again. I switched pellet brands and they burn much more thoroughly.

Is it possible that the original problem with the poor quality pellets created an issue that would affect the airflow through the system?

Should there be some kind of gasket at the bottom of the glass that I missed when taking things apart?

What’s my next course of action?

Thanks in advance, any advice is much appreciated.

I do not know your stove,but,as it has those clean out covers,going into vertical ports,is possible there is some plugging somewhere,might need the rubber mallet and air compressor blow done.Other than that,restriction in the incoming air,restriction in the outgoing air(chimney cap?),and combustion blower not getting up to proper speed.

Reactions: GGustavsen
I do not know your stove,but,as it has those clean out covers,going into vertical ports,is possible there is some plugging somewhere,might need the rubber mallet and air compressor blow done.Other than that,restriction in the incoming air,restriction in the outgoing air(chimney cap?),and combustion blower not getting up to proper speed.

A big THANK YOU to Bob. You were right! I was about ready to smash it with a hammer anyway, out of frustration... so much ash fell out when I smashed it with my deadblow hammer. Left off the clean out cap on my chimney tee when I started it up. Even more blew out there too. Fully operational after so much time and effort. Thank you for the advice!