Through wall fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

miller.rob91

Oct 2, 2018
Pennsylvania
My stove is in the basement and has no problem heating the first floor of my ranch in NEPA. An issue I am having is that my master bed and bath are above the garage, the bedroom stays warm enough but the bathroom is still cold because it has 2 exterior walls and is above the garage. I am looking to run a fan through the wall from the main living area to the bathroom. I am trying to find one that can be hardwired to a light switch. Basically I need help choosing how many cfm and size. Thank you in advance for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My stove is in the basement and has no problem heating the first floor of my ranch in NEPA. An issue I am having is that my master bed and bath are above the garage, the bedroom stays warm enough but the bathroom is still cold because it has 2 exterior walls and is above the garage. I am looking to run a fan through the wall from the main living area to the bathroom. I am trying to find one that can be hardwired to a light switch. Basically I need help choosing how many cfm and size. Thank you in advance for your help!

You could always just use a bathroom ventilation fan.

That wouldn’t work unfortunately.. I’m wanting to bring warm air from the living space directly into the bathroom through the kitchen wall (open concept living space).

Why not? Mount the fan in the kitchen ceiling or the wall separating them then run a duct to where you want the outlet in the bathroom. Those fans can be very quite and can be hooked up to variable speed controllers.

Why not? Mount the fan in the kitchen ceiling or the wall separating them then run a duct to where you want the outlet in the bathroom. Those fans can be very quite and can be hooked up to variable speed controllers.

Oh I see what you’re saying that’s actually a really good idea. I don’t have access to my attic on that side of the house so I’ll have to make an access door but I think that will work well thank you!

Oh I see what you’re saying that’s actually a really good idea. I don’t have access to my attic on that side of the house so I’ll have to make an access door but I think that will work well thank you!

I thought it was lol.

One suggestion. Before cutting up the walls. If possible try testing the fan concept with portable fans. Many don't work well. Generally pulling cold air out of rooms at the floor works best.

One suggestion. Before cutting up the walls. If possible try testing the fan concept with portable fans. Many don't work well. Generally pulling cold air out of rooms at the floor works best.

So if I were to cut holes in the wall hypothetically would the best option be to install two fans? One high and one low pulling cool air out?

What you looking for is a duct booster fan on a switch.. you cut in a vent in the warm room. And vent the warm air out a vent in the bathroom... i have somthing similar in my home
You could do a 6 or 8 in duct with inline fan

Do you have pictures? What type of fan do you have and is it loud?

So if I were to cut holes in the wall hypothetically would the best option be to install two fans? One high and one low pulling cool air out?

No one fan will be sufficient. But which ever way you choose you need an inlet and exhaust. One can absolutly be passive though.

You dont need to cut 2 holes.. cut in one vent and blow in the warm air.. any cool air will stay twards the floor and work its way out the door... you dont need to pull air out. This room is not sealed

You dont need to cut 2 holes.. cut in one vent and blow in the warm air.. any cool air will stay twards the floor and work its way out the door... you dont need to pull air out. This room is not sealed
That may work fine and i would try one hole first. But if i understand correctly this is the bath in the master suite the air would come in with the fan then have to work its way through the bedroom and out. It may work well or it may not.

Infact a passive vent or vents may be enough. There are just to many variables to know.

Reactions: miller.rob91
Do you have pictures? What type of fan do you have and is it loud?

Tha actual brand name i dont remember. Go on line and do a search this is a common item you could do a 6 or 8 in and pull enough air to warm a bathroom. The fan is not loud at all. I'v used it and sometime have forgotten its on. I only need to use it every so often. I think i have a 12in or 14 inflex duct connected to the vent and it gose to the kids bedsrooms and our master bath.. the vent is in the stove room and pulls the warm air off the ceiling and blows it into the other rooms

Tha actual brand name i dont remember. Go on line and do a search this is a common item you could do a 6 or 8 in and pull enough air to warm a bathroom. The fan is not loud at all. I'v used it and sometime have forgotten its on. I only need to use it every so often. I think i have a 12in or 14 inflex duct connected to the vent and it gose to the kids bedsrooms and our master bath.. the vent is in the stove room and pulls the warm air off the ceiling and blows it into the other rooms
You need to be very carefull doing this. It can cause negative pressure in the stove room leading to all kinds of issues. It is also against code.

The stove is in the basement the fan isn’t being ran from the stove room

Yes in your case i know that and what you are proposing is fine

The stove is in the basement the fan isn’t being ran from the stove room

I was letting you kmow what my setup is. You could put it in the hall or area that has warm air on the ceiling and put the vent there