Through the wall vs offset through the ceiling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NDeBaker

Jan 27, 2020
Port Washington
I purchased the Ashford 30.2. Such a beautiful stove! I have an installation question. I was hoping to go straight through the roof with my pipe but there is a valley right where the pipe needs to exit the ceiling. I have thought about using an offset but it would have to be offset inside the room making the pipe visibly crooked. I could also go out of the wall and then through the soffit. The place I bought the stove from does not like that kind of install because they said it drafts poorly and will develop creosote where the pipe exits the wall. My question is which one would you recommend or guidance might you be able to give? Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

The Ashford is capable of remarkably low exhaust temps (read: high efficiency) and very, very low burn rates. This puts more demand on your piping, to keep the moisture-laden exhaust gases warm and not condensing, as they exit the flue. The straightest shot with all double wall or insulated components is your best shot at making it work at the lowest burn rates.

The Ashford is capable of remarkably low exhaust temps (read: high efficiency) and very, very low burn rates. This puts more demand on your piping, to keep the moisture-laden exhaust gases warm and not condensing, as they exit the flue. The straightest shot with all double wall or insulated components is your best shot at making it work at the lowest burn rates.

Thank you for the response. We are going to attempt a straight installation so I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can avoid the valley and don't run into any problems when we get into the attic.

Cool. I'd say "straight" is not necessary, but definitey try to minimize the horizontal runs. An offset, particularly at 45-degrees and several feet above the stove, is not likely to cause much of an issue. But a longer horizontal run thru a wall thimble just two feet above the stove might.

We had the same issue. Got a beautiful cast iron stove and wanted the install to be perfect... but ended up with a minor 30 degree jog just before the ceiling to miss studs.

To tell you the truth I dont really notice it. How often is the human eye going to be on the pipe verse the moving pretty flames?

Reactions: Ashful
How often is the human eye going to be on the pipe verse the moving pretty flames?
Insert your favorite “black box” BK joke, here.

Actually, when run on any setting that yields a burn time < 12 hours, the Ashford has visible flame. If you rip thru a load as fast as 8 hours, the lower limit on most similarly-sized non-cats, the flame show is quite nice.

Reactions: Highbeam
Insert your favorite “black box” BK joke, here.

Actually, when run on any setting that yields a burn time < 12 hours, the Ashford has visible flame. If you rip thru a load as fast as 8 hours, the lower limit on most similarly-sized non-cats, the flame show is quite nice.
The flame show is ok in a bk but really nothing compared to the look of a tube stove in my opinion.

But really that really isn't a big deal

But really that really isn't a big deal
If the stove sits in the basement then agreed. If the stove is in the living room and enjoyed more than TV then the light show and a good scotch can be the best part of the evening.

If the stove sits in the basement then agreed. If the stove is in the living room and enjoyed more than TV then the light show and a good scotch can be the best part of the evening.
Yes I agree but the flame in a bk is fine. Not as interesting but fine

Yeah, what he said. :) I’ve never run a tube stove, but I’ve spent my life burning in open fireplaces and a few different cat stoves. The BK flame show looks like a fireplace flame show to me, after you get thru the initial exciting part of the burn. I hear a tube stove is more exciting, but less natural, if you’re used to looking at a typical open fire that’s fed just a few splits at a time all day.

Damn, I miss my old open fireplaces, now. I do love the way they sound, and smell.