Three green things you can do with an automobile.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thrifty

Apr 13, 2019
Minneapolis
1. Park in full sun in summer. Crack the windows. Place loaded food dehydrator racks under the wind shield and on boards across the seats. Vegetables will dry in a day or two. 2. park in the garage close to the back wall transmission in neutral . Place car repair ramps in front of the front wheels. Sit on a low box with your back against the wall feet on the bumper. Do your leg presses. Set the distances carefully (wall to bumper, front tires to ramps) so that the car never reaches the flat top part of the ramp and always lower the car SLOWLY. 3.The solar sauna. Use the first two steps in number one and place yourself in your new sauna. Old sol will provide the heat. Have a great summer.

Reactions: Doug MacIVER
Step one should include - set mouse traps. Step 3 should include - be sure to remove mouse traps before entering.

Preparation before Step 1 could be to leave the car in the garage and walk, bike, share a ride, or take public transportation to your destination -- then sell the car.

Preparation before Step 1 could be to leave the car in the garage and walk, bike, share a ride, or take public transportation to your destination -- then sell the car.
I tried this. For 8 years I rode a bike to work. I'd take a short car trip for groceries about every two weeks. Dollar wise it was a wash. I think I ate more than I saved in gas. Then you have to figure that what goes in comes out. I probably did more good for my health than the health of the planet.

Reactions: Highbeam

bicycle-hauling-wood.jpg

I would for sure get my exercise under this plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried this. For 8 years I rode a bike to work. I'd take a short car trip for groceries about every two weeks. Dollar wise it was a wash. I think I ate more than I saved in gas. Then you have to figure that what goes in comes out. I probably did more good for my health than the health of the planet.
I think this is where folks want to implement car sharing so the cost of using the vehicle a few times a month are shared among several people. Obviously you'd need to live in the city, but if you can bike to work, then you probably do.

I had not thought of this recently, but I rode a bike around Naning China. Cars, busses, trucks, people, bikes going all directions at once, and me darting in and out of the swarm with a small Chinese woman serenely riding side saddle on the back. She was my interpreter.

Sounds like my worst nightmare. Driving around Washington DC in a normal car is enough to push me over the edge. I can't stand crowded places like that.

Firewood, no problem. Just hope the terrain is flat.

wall-bike-high-pile600x771.jpg

Sounds like my worst nightmare. Driving around Washington DC in a normal car is enough to push me over the edge. I can't stand crowded places like that.
The hardest part was that as a not so trusting person, I had to hand myself over to this woman I had never met with the simple request that she not get me killed.
We were on the road for months, and I had no idea where we were or what was safe or dangerous.
Real joy is seeing a toilet after months of squatting over a hole.

The hardest part was that as a not so trusting person, I had to hand myself over to this woman I had never met with the simple request that she not get me killed.
We were on the road for months, and I had no idea where we were or what was safe or dangerous.
Real joy is seeing a toilet after months of squatting over a hole.
Sounds like an amazing adventure. What motivation brought you to there?

Reactions: SpaceBus
Sounds like an amazing adventure. What motivation brought you to there?
A friend running a NGO asked for help with a project. At times I feel guilty for coming home, but I most likely would be nuts if I had stayed. I saw some real ugly, but it was normal there.

I also met some of the best people. People that were taking a large risk every day. I saw strength and courage that still amazes me.