Three barrel stoves sighted !!! What would you do???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DriftWood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 5, 2006
Bluewater Area, Great Lakes
The saw three separate barrel stoves hooked up this week in my travels. Two in a Mennonite Community both with NO FLOOR PROTECTION on wood floors , one in use " fired up" in a cabinet shop saw dust and all.

The third turned my blood cold. Set up in a attached garage of a modern ranch style home with single wall pipe up thought the trussed rafters and through the roof. It is a Voltz... kit barrel stove on a concrete floor. The flue pipe 6"single wall passed within 12 inches of the rafters in three places.

What really got me thinking fire was the single wall pipe passed up through the roof with O clearance to the roof, pipe touching the plywood deck in two places. After talking to the woman of the house about the possibility of a fire she said" We never run this stove unless somebody is in the room"

I was going no where with her. SOO..... I went straight to the city's fire hall and had a talk about the set up with the fire chief. He said he would turn over my report to the city inspectors on Monday. I looked at him and said "I hope they make it to Monday."

What would you do about the other two?

Three barrel stoves sighted !!! What would you do???

I see a lot of thing in other town and shake my head.. you did the right thing. Even inspectors wear a different cap when not on duty.

What is important is the job we do here when poster come looking for safety advice. Lord knows how many installations have become safer from this forum, But there has been a few.

Unfortunately at times good advice will only help those receptive to it

Status
Not open for further replies.