Thoughts on Hearthstone Castleton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Automaton25

Mar 10, 2020
Colorado
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are in need of a new wood stove. It is actually replacing an old fireplace as we don't have any other option. It is used as our primary heatsource, the we do have forced air and it is usually set at 63.

We live in Colorado West of Denver. Our house is 1300 square feet and the unit will sit in the living room b with called ceilings to the second floor. All the updates rooms open to the vaulted area so air flow is pretty good.

I know the unit takes a while to warm up. I've been told 30-40 minutes. Any real-life usage reports? Thoughts? Concerns? Pros? Cons?

Thanks,
Andrew

If you want to set a free-standing stove on the hearth, you have to meet the floor protection requirements for the stove that are detailed in the manual. There are also clearance-to-combustibles requirements to the sides and to the mantel above.
Or you could go with a fireplace insert, but that will rely on a blower to some extent to pull heat off the firebox into the room. Some blowers are pretty quiet..

We've already had an estimate and this requirements have been met, albeit barely. We looked at an insert but they were so small they were pretty much useless as a heatsource.

replacing an old fireplace as we don't have any other option. It is used as our primary heatsource, the we do have forced air and it is usually set at 63...We live in Colorado West of Denver. Our house is 1300 square feet and the unit will sit in the living room b with called ceilings to the second floor. All the updates rooms open to the vaulted area so air flow is pretty good.
I know the unit takes a while to warm up. I've been told 30-40 minutes. Any real-life usage reports? Thoughts? Concerns? Pros? Cons?
Rear vent into a fireplace is a workable option, some good stoves to choose from.
63 degrees?? You must not be my age! ;lol
So, this is an open layout? If your stove is still warm from the overnight load, recovery of room temp in the morning won't be a problem.

Rear vent into a fireplace is a workable option, some good stoves to choose from.
63 degrees?? You must not be my age! ;lol
So, this is an open layout? If your stove is still warm from the overnight load, recovery of room temp in the morning won't be a problem.

We're in our 30's. With a fire going the house is 70-72. The floor plan is pretty open, except for the kitchen which is somewhat blocked off but still has a large opening to get heat into it. Cooking usually generates enough heat though.

Sounds like the Castleton might work. Can you provide a picture of the current setup and some measurements?

Sounds like the Castleton might work. Can you provide a picture of the current setup and some measurements?

The Castleton definitely fits. It is tight, but it does fit. It is on the way from the manufacturer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to clean up the brick and modernize it a little? I was thinking about staining it but I don't think stain will cover up the yellowish stuff that was put on the brick by the manufacturer.

Attachments

• Thoughts on Hearthstone Castleton
    20200316_151605.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 147
The staining doesn't look too bad. You could try scrubbing it with a brush and some alcohol then soap and water. There is a heavy-duty soot cleaner, but it might be overkill in this case.
Amazon product ASIN B00CFLE2UQ

Will the stove sit out in front of the fireplace, on the hearth? Back in the fireplace, the brick will absorb much of the radiant heat from the stove, and it will end up outdoors, unless you insulate the fireplace walls somehow. I'm assuming the fireplace is on an exterior wall.
You could just paint the brick a solid color, like our brick above the mantel.
Thoughts on Hearthstone Castleton

Will the stove sit out in front of the fireplace, on the hearth? Back in the fireplace, the brick will absorb much of the radiant heat from the stove, and it will end up outdoors, unless you insulate the fireplace walls somehow. I'm assuming the fireplace is on an exterior wall.
You could just paint the brick a solid color, like our brick above the mantel.
View attachment 258275
It has to. This is a ZC fireplace.

It has to. This is a ZC fireplace.
So it needs an insulated liner to the top, right?
Depending on the air-sealing and insulation of the house, that size firebox should still have enough coals to reload on in the morning, and house temp won't drop all that much. But yes, when you reload in the morning, it takes 30-40 minutes to get the new load established to the point that you can cut the air to your cruise setting, and leave.