thoughts on burning beech

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
Thinkig of cutting me some beech this week for next years firewood, has anybody on here burn it? what your opinion about it, I know some people like it for being a slick bark no mess wood, but how well does it burn and can you get good burn times out of it.

I have some pieces in a stack I'll probably burn next year but haven't burned any so far. It ranks up near the top of the list for BTU's. http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm Should be a great burning wood for you.

Awesome clean burning wood. Get er dry and the heat is great.

wantstoburnwood said:
Awesome clean burning wood. Get er dry and the heat is great.

+1 and only 2nd to ash on seasoning

Excellent fuelwood that throws very good heat, burns nice with a very lively flame.

This is all beech. Ben burning about 90% beech for 6-8 years. It's 3rd on my list for firewood. I'd rather have W oak or Hard maple but beech is a close runner up. Makes a heavy bed of coals and long burns.

Attachments

• thoughts on burning beech
    woodshed.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 386
RIDGERUNNER30 said:
Thinkig of cutting me some beech this week for next years firewood, has anybody on here burn it? what your opinion about it, I know some people like it for being a slick bark no mess wood, but how well does it burn and can you get good burn times out of it.

I have 2 face cord for this heating season, just waiting for colder weather.

zap

RIDGERUNNER30 said:

About half of my firewood has been blue beech, and I love it. The only thing I like better is black birch. Beech is a great, hot-burning hardwood that seasons fast, too. The only disadvantage to it is that it needs a hot fire going to get started, even when it's dry. But once it goes, man it's terrific. More heat than rock maple, but the maple ignites at lower temps, so I usually put a couple splits of maple on the coals and the beech on top of that. Come to think of it, it can also be a beech to split because it's so fibrous and often twisted. But it's much easier in winter when it's good and frozen. So split now, don't wait for spring.

I'll take all the beech you don't want.

Status
Not open for further replies.