Those who have aligned the auger on the Englander 25-PDV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
I need some clarification. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this intermittent jerking/squealing noise, the noise that happens every few seconds apart and lasts about 2~3 seconds.
I had a jam in the top auger which I cleared by manually moving the auger motor in the back left to right. I also cleaned bottom auger tube by burn pot and removed carbon buildup, but the noise is still there.

When cleaning the bottom auger tube and removing the buildup, how far back do you go and how do you clean this tube, with stove running so the blades turn and give you a chance to clean areas around the tube, how far back can/have you clean this.

Do you think that this tube STILL needs some cleaning?
Do you think the augers must be aligned?

According to the instructions to align the auger there may no need to align if the auger turns freely by hand, and mine does when I move the back auger motor (left to right with motor NOT removed).

Looking for directions before I remove setscrew and 4 bolts (well, the 4 bolts may only need to be loosen, right?)

Stove doesn't have much room in the back for me to get "there" and easily remove bolts and all that......

no takers.....??????

Morning, Geek! :) I'm trying to figure out the noise you are hearing. It seems to me that what you are hearing may just be the augers breaking an over-sized pellet unless the noise occurs on a very regular basis. Does it? You might try sitting in front of the stove and watching the lower auger. If the noise happens every time it's rotated in a certain direction then you might have a problem but honestly what you are describing sounds like what my stove does when a pellet just gets in an odd place, perhaps between the auger and the tube, now and then.

It doesn't sound like the auger needs alignment to me but I'm no expert. Yeah, getting the stove away from the wall so you can work on it is the hardest part if you ask me.

hi peggy, yes the noise is very consistent. I watched the bottom auger closely but frankly I'm not sure because I cleaned the sucker really well....lol....but still makes the noise. I guess there might be a spot I couldn't reack to the upper side of the tube where you can't really see.

I just don't want to start taking out the auger mechanism in the back to then find out is something else......

Also, the noise is sort of like a vibration of an electric "thing".

geek said:
I need some clarification. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this intermittent jerking/squealing noise, the noise that happens every few seconds apart and lasts about 2~3 seconds.
I had a jam in the top auger which I cleared by manually moving the auger motor in the back left to right. I also cleaned bottom auger tube by burn pot and removed carbon buildup, but the noise is still there.

When cleaning the bottom auger tube and removing the buildup, how far back do you go and how do you clean this tube, with stove running so the blades turn and give you a chance to clean areas around the tube, how far back can/have you clean this.

Do you think that this tube STILL needs some cleaning?
Do you think the augers must be aligned?

According to the instructions to align the auger there may no need to align if the auger turns freely by hand, and mine does when I move the back auger motor (left to right with motor NOT removed).

The auger will not turn completely by hand if the motor isn't removed. You're maybe turning the auger 1/4 of the way so you're not getting a true feeling for any rubbing that may be going on.

Mike had suggested that I use an emery board, like you use to file your nails, to sand off carbon in the lower auger tube. I tried the emery board but it wasn't long enough to suit me so now I use one of the metal nail files since it is longer and stronger. The file is thin enough to fit between the auger and the tube so you are only limited by it's length. You might try something like that before taking yours apart. Also, you can sometimes find really long, 12 to 18", pipe cleaners at a craft store. I've used one before just to sort of feel around in the auger shaft to "see" if there's any obstruction.

pegdot said:
Mike had suggested that I use an emery board, like you use to file your nails, to sand off carbon in the lower auger tube. I tried the emery board but it wasn't long enough to suit me so now I use one of the metal nail files since it is longer and stronger. The file is thin enough to fit between the auger and the tube so you are only limited by it's length. You might try something like that before taking yours apart. Also, you can sometimes find really long, 12 to 18", pipe cleaners at a craft store. I've used one before just to sort of feel around in the auger shaft to "see" if there's any obstruction.

I haven't seen carbon buildup more than an inch or so into the bottom tube. Does yours go further in than that Pegdot?

on my englander pellet stove i use a small wire brush attachment onthe end of a drill to clean the build up in the lower auger. hope this helps

Honestly, I didn't think that it did, and the bulk of the carbon IS right at the end of the tube, but after Mike suggested the emery board I looked a little closer and did find some build up farther up the tube. (This may just be because my stove runs on low settings most of the time.) The highest up I've found carbon was just behind the second flight of the auger. It was thin and the file took it right off but I imagine it would build up enough to cause a problem over time if it wasn't removed.

Hodder, that's a good idea! I must admit, I used my dremel and a grinding stove to give the end of the lower auger tube & the tip of the auger a good cleaning before I fired up the stove this year. I was hoping that getting it nice and slick would slow the carbon build up thing but so far I can't see any difference. Oh well, at least it started the season clean! :)

I'm thinking on trying the auger align this weekend (supposed to be better temps) so I can turn off the stove for some time.
Also, do you know or has anyone purchased any file to clean the tube at the local HD, I will try to check later today.

geek said:
I'm thinking on trying the auger align this weekend (supposed to be better temps) so I can turn off the stove for some time.
Also, do you know or has anyone purchased any file to clean the tube at the local HD, I will try to check later today.

Geek,

The auger alignment is very simple so don't be afraid. It's a good idea to get to know your stove, and this is a good way to start.

The only thing I've used to clean my auger tube is a screwdriver, and am occasional hammer. If you find something that works better please let us know.

Rick

thanks Rick, at one point a couple days ago I tried loosening the setscrew but couldn't easily because of the position on how stove is installed, so that's why I thought it could be a little hard but I'm sure is a piece of cake.

I think I'd tackle this tomorrow morning and provide feedback then.

Thanks for always chiming in, you're a great helper here.

geek said:
thanks Rick, at one point a couple days ago I tried loosening the setscrew but couldn't easily because of the position on how stove is installed, so that's why I thought it could be a little hard but I'm sure is a piece of cake.

I think I'd tackle this tomorrow morning and provide feedback then.

Thanks for always chiming in, you're a great helper here.

The set screw is a pain. I believe an open ended 5/16" or 8mm wrench is what's needed to loosen it. Just watch your knuckles ;-)

[/quote]

The set screw is a pain. I believe an open ended 5/16" or 8mm wrench is what's needed to loosen it. Just watch your knuckles ;-)[/quote]

sure enough, got hit on a couple knuckles...

got the task done but couldn't really improve alignment of the top auger, boy it is a challenge and difficult.

the problem is that the auger has a bearing in the back but it is floating in the tube, so aligning this horizontally could be challenging, why don't they design this thing with 2 bearings??
Even the tech at englanger acknowledged it is very very hard to center the auger perfectly in the tube.

Now I am positive the noise is from the top auger because by listening to the noise I can see it only happens when the top auger turns to move the pellets, I watched it and now am sure.

I guess I'll have to leave with this friction noise...!!! :-(

Geek, have you tried putting a little graphite in the hopper? I do it about once a month, when I do my big clean, and it really does seem to help about noises from the stove. Empty your hopper, vacuum out all the loose fines you can reach in the top auger then take about two cups of pellets, squirt graphite on them, put the stove in diagnostic mode and run the pellets through both augers. I'm thrifty so I retrieve the pellets from the pot and store them in a plastic bag for next time. Next time I just add a little more graphite to them. You can run the pellets through multiple times if you think you need the extra lube. :coolsmile:

thanks for the advice peggy, I was thinking the same, will see if local HD has this.

Sorry you're having a tough time with your stove geek. Luckily I haven't needed to use graphite, just a realignment was all mine needed. Hopefully the graphite will make your noise vanish.

Rick,

when you aligned yours, after loosening the bolts and all that, did you still feel a drag or friction when turning the auger while then tightening the bottom right bolt and then the upper left bolt?
How difficult was to get the auger 'perfectly' in the center of the tube without binding, or you still had some binding but minimal?

In my case turning was smooth on one side but then a little rough on the other and no matter what I did I couldn't really get it into a perfect spot. Even the tech at Englander told me that it was very very difficult to get a very good alignment and if you did you'd still hear some binding....ah?

geek said:
Rick,

when you aligned yours, after loosening the bolts and all that, did you still feel a drag or friction when turning the auger while then tightening the bottom right bolt and then the upper left bolt?
How difficult was to get the auger 'perfectly' in the center of the tube without binding, or you still had some binding but minimal?

In my case turning was smooth on one side but then a little rough on the other and no matter what I did I couldn't really get it into a perfect spot. Even the tech at Englander told me that it was very very difficult to get a very good alignment and if you did you'd still hear some binding....ah?

When I was aligning the auger I was able to find the center pretty easily. Once I found the center I tightened the bolts like you did, and it's been quiet ever since. Not all parts are exactly the same so it's more than possible that your auger is slightly larger, your bearing is loose fitting, the bolt holes that hold the auger in place are slightly off, etc...

Definitely try the graphite fix like pegdot suggested, and that should make it quieter.

one last thing, I noticed that the auger motor moves in all directions, not only left to right, this was happening before I touched it and after. I tighten the setscrew very well but it still moves. The bottom auger motor is more solid and only moves left-right.

I honestly don't remember much play at the motor other than it moving left-right. It could be that the bearing is defective.

that may explain the difficulty in getting this properly aligned.....ah, will check with Englander....

Status
Not open for further replies.