This wood good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcstatz5829

Jul 11, 2018
Indianapolis
splitting some scavenged wood

FBF6BD3A-3A3F-400B-932D-87D4274AEC3F.jpeg

IMP, all wood can be burned. Dry it and don't let punky wood get wet. I use majarnol wood in the shoulder season.

Reactions: Prof
A general rule of thumb is that if it splits as opposed to crumbling/breaking off in partial chunks, there are some BTUs left in it. Some fungus is inevitable, but OK as long as is not all punk. I agree with xman, OK for the shoulder season, but I wouldn't count on it for an over-night burn in January.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I put funky looking wood in the fire when it's real hot. Never at the beginning of a fire, never at the end. It never comes inside until I'm going to open the stove door and put it in.

Reactions: Rhodie
If it splits and doesnt break up as said above, burn it

Been doing some scavenging myself and came across some funky growth today...

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
What kind of wood is that? Cool wavy grain.

Wish I knew! I spent the day splitting up a pile left by the previous homeowner - at least 3 years old. But most likely poplar or oak because that's what most everything else is here. Had powder post beetles, mushrooms, puff-balls, thick brown fungus, but the blue fungus was something special, never seen that before.

That's likely just a little mold, mildew or some manner of decay growth taking advantage of a high moisture environment inside the tree. Split it, stack it, let it dry out and die.