This look like oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

East texas nights

Dec 30, 2020
North texas
Guy gave it to me. Said he had the tree cut down years ago. Difficult as sin to split.
This look like oak?This look like oak?

Last edited by a moderator:
The sides of those splits, I can't tell 100% that they are split rather than cut with a saw. If they are split, my guess is it's white oak. If they were cut, I venture a guess that it might be black gum. Black gum usually exhibits an alligator hide type bark pattern but small sections of it could have a nondescript pattern. Hard for me to give a good guess based on just those two splits. Anyway, black gum can be a beast to split but it comes out gnarly in the middle, with a fibrous texture like elm does. Maybe someone else can recognize that bark pattern, might be some other hardwood.

Last edited: