This a good price for a NEW but old stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

parttimer428

Dec 8, 2018
ohio
I found an Avalon Newport Insert for 1300, still sitting on the pallet. Guy said it was purchased ins 2011 and the land contract owner said he couldn't install it. It's been sitting in a basement since 2011, cords still tied up, on the pallet. Includes 20' of liner. I have a Greenfire insert in one of my fireplaces now, I am debating on moving that to our basement where our master is. That chimney is an interior chimney, the greenfire says it's acceptable to run the vent partially up the chimeny. The chimney does have a rain guard on it and is in good working order. Can I then just stuff the damper with rockwool and put a block off plate up to seal it? I don't really want to purchase AND run 30+ feet of 4" liner. The new avalon would just go in where the greenfire is. That has a full run liner but no block off so I thought I'd stuff some rockwool in there too?

If this helps, I paid $900 for a factory reburbished Englander 25-pdvc, which is a $300 discount from new. I went in that direction because it had the factory warranty.

As for you install questions, I'm unsure. I hired a pro to do the install so that I wouldn't have insurance issues as I too had a minorly complicated install due to wanting to reuse a 6" double wall chimney in my ceiling from the previous owner. I also priced out the parts, it cost about the same for him to do it as it would have been me.