Thinking of a wood stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JoeyBurn

Jan 31, 2019
Northwest Ohio
Hello all, I've been kicking the idea around of installing a wood stove for awhile now. I live in an old 2300 sf two story farm house. About 1200 sf on the main floor. Insulation is decent. I have a forced air propane furnace on the first floor and electric baseboard upstairs. The wife wants to open up some walls for a more open concept and I'm thinking a stove is starting to make more and more sense. It will only be for supplemental heat. I have a lifetime supply of standing dead ash that will mostly be what I burn.

I have one place in the entire house where I think I can make a stove work. I'd like to know what you guys think. I'm open to suggestions. The wall on the right is 54" long and it's 37" to the baseboard. The right wall will be turned in to a half wall and both will need to be protected. The cardboard pieces on the floor are the dimensions for a jotul f118 and f602. I'm also considering a morso 2b. I plan on building a brick hearth that goes from the baseboard to the end of the 54" wall. The stove pipe will exit out the top then out the wall. From then on class a to the roof.

So what do you guys think? Am I missing anything? Will the chimney above the meter be a problem?

Attachments

• Thinking of a wood stove...
    20190130_123346.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 481
  • Thinking of a wood stove...
    20190126_161902.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 438
Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to contact your electric utility co and make sure they don't have an objections to the chimney t being near the meter pan, I believe most utility co want 1ft on either side of the meter and 3 ft in front, the chimney T will be a little lower that your drawing for better access and cleaning.

Hi love the stoves you picked out.

I think u will find the the 118 firebox size 50% larger than the other 2.

This will effect your output and burn time.

The sidewall setbacks might throw your plans off a bit. Take a look at those specs.

Additionally you will find convective type stoves will have less setbacks than the radiants.

Joyful has a upright convective stove and morso a few as well that might fit in the setback space.

We have a morso 8142 for ambiance supplemental coziness and burn it almost every night. But it does need reloading a little bit too often with a smallish firebox. Approx 1 cu ft

Have fun choosing.

It will only be for supplemental heat. I have a lifetime supply of standing dead ash that will mostly be what I burn.
Yeah, that's what they all say, only part time. But if they are nerds, or self-sufficiency minded, the bug bites 'em and they have to buy more stove. If this describes you, just go big now. ;)
Move the stove to where you can go straight up through the house, in the corner or closet of an upstairs room with a chase. Outside, the chimney gets cool and doesn't power the stove as well.

I have a Morso 2B Classic if you want to know more about how it works in the real world. How well insulated is your house?

Edit:

After reviewing the photos again, I would try and find another location for a wood stove.

Well we had a slight change of plans since this post. I found a nice used jotul f400 castine that i couldn't turn down. Also found a new place for it. Going to have to knock out a built in cabinet but thats no big deal. This will allow me to go straight up through a second story closet. Planning to install next summer/fall. Working on my wood stash now.

The stove drafts well even with the 90° elbow. My chimney is a 24ft tall masonry chimney. I also bought my castine used. First year using it I had some problems with it running hotter than I liked. I went over the stove with a fine toothed comb. I found three gaskets that where bad and replaced them. The stove runs like a champ now. Very controllable. If I where you I would make sure all of your gaskets are in good condition.

Reactions: JoeyBurn
Well we had a slight change of plans since this post. I found a nice used jotul f400 castine that i couldn't turn down. Also found a new place for it. Going to have to knock out a built in cabinet but thats no big deal. This will allow me to go straight up through a second story closet. Planning to install next summer/fall. Working on my wood stash now.

and so it starts, another man ruined by the burning bug as he starts his obsession with wood piles and moisture content. Enjoy the journey.