Thinking of a RSF Opel 3 or Kozy Z42?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroCrazyChris

Hearth Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
St. Louis
Well, after going over the plans I had for the Englander 13-NC stove I wanted to do, the manufacturer said they couldnt aprove the instalation. So here I sit with no fireplace. This sucks! If any of you have read my previous threads you would know that I bought the 13-NCI Insert model to go into my existing fireplace only to find out I had a Pre-Fab unit. Wish I would have joined the community earlier.... Anyway, the Pre-Fab unit sucked and was way past its prime, made by Majestic and was 32 Years old. I have riped out the entire thing including the flu, at least I got a couple bucks back for the stainless! The unit was not vented to the outside and pulled more cold air through the joints in the house than it put out in heat. Litterly, having a fire in it dropped the average air temp in the house 10 deg. or more! The only place it was warm was if you were in sight of the fireplace.
So enough of that.... I am now considering a few different models of ZC fireplaces. I am looking at the RSF Opel 3, RSF Chameleon, Kozy Heat Z42, and the Silhouette 2800 unit.
I do not believe the Silhouette is efficient enough without the catylitic version of the 2800, so it does not qualify for the tax credit. So unless I am wrong on that (someone please let me know), the Silhouette is out.
I believe the others are all tax rebate eligible but let me know if I am wrong. Is there anything that anyone can comment on the remaining models? Any recomendations?
I like the Opel 3 because it has options that you can not get with the Chameleon such as Thermostatic controls, and central duct connection for whole house heating, plus the size of it makes it fit in very nicely to the corner where the old one was located. The Z42 says its only 73% Efficient.... I thought a unit had to be 75% to get the tax credit???
Again, any input would be great!
Thanks in advance!

Had the Opel 3 been available when I bought my Onyx, that would have been my first choice but then you probably already read that if you followed BeGreen's link.

BeGreen said:
Sounds like you are looking at some good choices. Do a search in this forum on RSF and another on the Kozy. Maybe PM their owners?

PS: Have you been following this thread?
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/34954/

Well, thank you for the thread. After reading it I think the choice is clear. Everyone that mentions the Opel 3 seems to having nothing but good things to say about it. I know it has great efficiency and great design. The only downside I saw to it was that it does not use standard replaceable firebrick. I guess though if you are not overfiring your unit you shouldnt have a problem with cracking.
Also.... I read a post in that thread that said its easier to move cold air than hot. Not tring to argue but I dont believe thats the case. I am mainly a car guy and something I was tought in school is that on race cars we wrap the headers and exaust as much as possible to keep the heat in. The hotter we can keep the exaust gas the easier it is to make it flow through the restrictive bends and turns of an exaust. The hotter air is the more fluid it is, the colder air is the more dense it is and harder to make it change direction with efficiency. However... maybe where they got mixed up was that cold air is more efficient at retaining its tempurature because its denser and more difficult to take tempurature away from it. If you took two pieces of identicle metal and took one and heated it to 300 degrees above the controlled room tempurature and took another and chilled it to 300 below the controlled room temp, the heated piece of metal would return to room temp much faster than the chilled one.
Just my two cents!

Also... Does anyone know how to hook it into the central heating system? I searched through the online manual and could not find anything on it.

My opel is about 7 years old but here are the pics in my manual.Mine are lil bit to far from the plentum .The closer the better

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Thinking of a RSF Opel 3 or Kozy Z42?
    DSCF3297.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 495
  • [Hearth.com] Thinking of a RSF Opel 3 or Kozy Z42?
    DSCF3297.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 448
Thanks for the diagrams! Im unshure if I should use the central heating option now. If I did I would have to run about 25 feet of ductwork to plumb into where its suposed to enter, then the heat (well, whats left), would have to travel 25 feet back the other direction back to the vents. I wander how this would effect it?
Also, does anyone have any good suggestions for an online dealer that has good prices on the Opel 3's?
Thanks again!

Here is a link to the rsf website that has the manuals for the options.

http://www.icc-rsf.com/en/rsf/Options

The manual pdf link will be in red numbers to the side of the name of the option.

If I were to install a zero clearance fireplace, the opel would be my choice, as it has so many options. But they are not cheap.

At least you do have dealers in the St. Louis area. There are enough parts in this unit, by the time you load it with options, I think it would be wise to try to deal with a local dealer for this purchase.

Now that you have the old fireplace out, is it out of the question to do a cove style stove install rather than a fireplace?

This stove is really nice . The heat it puts out is unreal. I had this put in while I built my house. You can have a fire blazing for 3 hours and the sides will not burn you.You can give this baby a bear hug. The flue pipe you can hold . If you want I will check the heat temp. coming out of the top of the stove. ( the grates above the fireplace ) I can check the temp coming out of the duct work. You let me know what you want or call me and talk # 573 480 6956

After reading your posts, I see that a cove or alcove style of install is not what you are after. Now that you ask what it is, it is hard to put in words, but essentially the stove would be setting in an alcove of the wall ( I was envisioning that was what would be left after taking out your fireplace, but I now see it was a corner install, so you really don't have an alcove left), I had read part of your previous posts, but missed the corner part.

Status
Not open for further replies.