Thinking about moving from a VC Winterwarm large to a Buck 74 or 81

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mo381

Aug 3, 2011
North Central Indiana
The Winter warm was in the home when we bought it 10 years ago and I believe it is 15 years old. I have had to replace the cat twice and it is due for a new one again, could maybe nurse another year if it stayed as warm as it did last year. I have replaced the door gasket every year and it lasts about half the season. I have also had the floor grate repaired, throats replaced and replaced the refractory box about 5 years ago. I even bought an old one and scavenged a lot of parts for back up.
It puts out heat but I feel there are better options out there.
We are going with Buck because that is what our chimney sweep carries and he is also a good friend. We have a 2 story 2400 sq ft house, 1400 down and 1000 up. The thermostat for the natural gas furnace is upstairs so in the winter I close the 1st floor vents and turn the temp to 66 upstairs and heat the downstairs with the insert.
I was leaning towards the model 81 as it had a better BTU and bigger blower, the 74 has better efficiency and wider fire box. After talking last night the wife didn't like the side windows and our sweep says that they dirty up pretty quick and are useless for fire viewing. I like the 74 because most of my splits have been cut from 20-22" for the VC and the 74 will accept them. I have been cutting them to 16-18 for the last year, in anticipation of changing insert but still have plenty that are longer.

Any input on either the 74 or the 81?

Either one will be ordered with pewter trim and a blower, installed in an outside wall masonry 2 story chimney with a 8" insulated liner.

Thanks in advance.

The Buck will be an improvement over the complicated WinterWarm. Have you looked to see if any 3 cu ft inserts will fit?

Reactions: mo381
I have a 74 and have been happy with it. I get good 8 hour burns with it.....actually putting heat out.....and a decent amount of coals for relighting. It heats our 1500 sq ft single floor new house easy. Pretty solid stove and simple design is what I liked about it. Their are a lot of great stoves out there just giving you my opinion since I own a 74. Blower is loud on high but it doesnt bother me. I would think it would heat your downstairs easily and cut down on your ng upstairs quite a bit if house is insulated decently.

Reactions: mo381 and begreen