Things I have learned this year...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
things I have learned this year …..
* splitting large red oak rounds by first slabbing the bark/sapwood with a maul
* how using a cant hook makes bucking log a more muscle friendly experience. What a great investment.
* using wedge(s) to keep the kerf open when bucking.
* how fantastic Super Cedars are for lighting the stove.
* after chain sharpening on a Oregon 511ax, I find touching up with a file afterwards offers superior results. Probably because I haven't mastered the power sharpener. I am definitely missing something!

I am definitely not too old to learn new "stuff". Thanks to all of the knowledgeable, seasoned members of hearth.com for posting their methods/advice. What a resource. :)

That is what this place is all about. A collective brain trust of all things associated to burning stuff to heat our homes. Well that and a place to assure ourselves that we are not the only nut cases with this obsession.;lol

Reactions: Macpolski
Did you learn which way to stack? bark up or bark down:p

:cool:
Did you learn which way to stack? bark up or bark down:p

I was told many years ago by and older Estonian carpenter/woodworker to stack bark up for protection from the elements. Well, now it's bark left, right, up and down. Keep it a bit loose.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
I've only been a member a couple of weeks and I've learned more about wood burning and wood itself than I think I have in my entire life.

I wish I had joined the forum sooner and began learning about this much earlier.

My first year I learned (the first thing I learned) was how unsweet the sound of hissing splits are in the stove. After that I learned to keep the ash door closed on starts. After that I learned that top down starts weren't for me. The learning list goes on and on and I'm glad to be here

things I have learned this year …..
* splitting large red oak rounds by first slabbing the bark/sapwood with a maul
* how using a cant hook makes bucking log a more muscle friendly experience. What a great investment.
* using wedge(s) to keep the kerf open when bucking.
* how fantastic Super Cedars are for lighting the stove.
* after chain sharpening on a Oregon 511ax, I find touching up with a file afterwards offers superior results. Probably because I haven't mastered the power sharpener. I am definitely missing something!

I am definitely not too old to learn new "stuff". Thanks to all of the knowledgeable, seasoned members of hearth.com for posting their methods/advice. What a resource. :)

What a fantastic post!!!!!!!

Please educate me on this technique of splitting large oak rounds, Mac.

<-- has a few cords of very large oak rounds to work thru this fall

Please educate me on this technique of splitting large oak rounds, Mac.

<-- has a few cords of very large oak rounds to work thru this fall
Start at the outside edges, and work your way in

That's what I do, beer belly, but it sounds like Mac has a different technique.

That's what I do, beer belly, but it sounds like Mac has a different technique.
Things I have learned this year...
No I think the same. I try to smack the sapwood near the edge, chord-like, which slabs off the bark with some sapwood. Peel around the entire round. This is something I read about but never tried and then, well, I learned something. :)

Reactions: Beer Belly
Hmm... okay. Either you edited your post, or I need an eye exam. I read "by first slabbing the bark," as, "by first stabbing the bark."

C'mon... did you change it? ;lol

Hmm... okay. Either you edited your post, or I need an eye exam. I read "by first slabbing the bark," as, "by first stabbing the bark."

C'mon... did you change it? ;lol
Hah, no. But when it starts to get chilly outside, I love having a couple of dark beers! ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.