Thin hearth build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

snobuilder

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2021
WI
I've been looking on the net for an alternate to durock in a higher r value as a substrate for either new tile or 3/4" granite slabs I already have.

Are you trying to maintain the same thickness as durock but still have a stable platform for tile? I don't know of anything that meets that need.

Reactions: clancey
I've been looking on the net for an alternate to durock in a higher r value as a substrate for either new tile or 3/4" granite slabs I already have.
Micore is about the best option for hearth insulation but you will need cement board ontop of it to put tile on. Your stove has really high r value requirements as listed. And because it is so modified you really need to build the hearth for an unlisted stove.

Reactions: D. Hermit
Another vote for micore - I overbuilt my hearth on purpose (didn't want to have to redo it if I ever got a different stove), and 3 layers of micore plus cement board plus tile gets me around R3.5 in just over 2" of height. I've got a fairly heavy soapstone stove on top of it, and haven't had any issues.