Thimble and pipe interface question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

timberscribe

Hearth Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
western Virginia
To all experts in woodburning:

I have a problem I'm hoping you can help me solve.

First, some background:

I grew up burning wood and have had a stove in my existing home now for several years. I've recently torn out the old chimney (poorly constructed) and replaced it with a new, two-flue, clay-lined block chimney. I'm ready to hook up my two woodstoves, 1 per flue, in the basement and on the first floor. Both installations are directly into the block chimney with no walls/flammables through which the stove pipe must pass (I will be simply finishing the block to match each room). I had the mason install an 8" clay thimble to accomodate the 8" stove pipe required for each of my wood stoves.

To my surprise, however, the thimbles both have inside diameters of 8 1/2" (outside of approx. 10"), and I'm not sure how to proceed. Any previous stove hookup in my experience involved an iron or clay thimble that would accept the appropriate stove pipe (6,7, or 8" dia.) for a snug press fit. But these thimbles leave a considerable gap around any standard 8" stovepipe.

I've heard that clay thimbles and liners have somewhat variable tolerances, but I've not encountered any before that were this oversize. To make matters more confusing, I've gone on several manufacturers web sites, and some list their eight inch thimbles as 8" i.d., others as 8 1/2" i.d. Perhaps the difference is that some manufacturers list actual i.d., others nominal? At any rate, my mason seems puzzled by the oversize as well, but I told him I wanted to check around first before he attempted a fix. Some people seem to advocate a permanent cemented connection, others some kind of packing with fireproof insulation. Neither strikes me as ideal, and I can't believe I'm the first one to run into something like this.

So my two part question is this:

1. Why are the thimbles oversized?

2. How does one hook a stove to them in a safe manner that also permits easy uncoupling for cleaning?*

* i.e. I want to be able to disconnect the stovepipe for annual cleaning without having to chisel away refractory cement. I also dislike the idea of packing insulation between the stovepipe and thimble--I prefer a solid, "hard" connection. Is there some kind of metal adaptor that I can use to reduce the interior diameters of the thimbles so that standard 8" stovepipe will make a snug press fit? Or will I have to have something fabricated?

I've not run into this situation before, and I'm not having any luck finding answers from suppliers, so I'm hoping I can get some answers here.

Hoping you can shed some light on this situation,

Timberscribe
western Virginia

I have no idea why it is oversize. On the other question we always use stainless steel liner for thimbles in a block chimney with no combustibles. Keep the crimp end just past the block refractory cement for the inside connection to the flue tile and mortar the rest in place.

Thanks for the replies, but I'm afraid my questions remain.

If oversized thimbles are common, surely my situation is not unique. And while cemented-in insulated pipe might work well in lieu of a clay thimble, I already have a clay thimble permanently installed as part of the chimney. So I'm afraid I have to work with what I've got. Some kind of adapter?

I remain interested in what advice you experienced stove installers can bestow.

Thanking you in advance for the same,

Timberscribe
western Virginia

Run the single wall stainless steel( not insulated ) inside clay flue tile thimble. Cement in place.It is the only way I know too get a dripless connection.Nobody makes a 8 1/4" to 8" adpt. Even if they did it would not be a dripless connection because it would fit too the inside of thimble.If you want it done with a adpt. go to a metal shop and have them make you one. But it will not be dripless unless you go to the outside of clay thimble.
Twenty years of install experiance on my part. If you have a better solution I would love too hear it.

No better solution at hand--that's why I'm asking.

I did suspect that some kind of metal liner for the existing thimble might be the way to go, but I wanted to check with an experienced installer first. That's where you guys come in!

Any suggestions about where to obtain this kind of pipe?

What if you took a piece of 8" pipe and permanently installed it in the thimble with mortar, silicone, insulation or combination and just leave a 4" piece sticking out. You can then install the pipe from the stove nice and tight into that stub. I know it is not the perfect solution but it would work and you would not have to break the mortar every time you clean it out.

That's what I'm leaning toward (some kind of metal liner cemented into thimble); I'm now looking into sources for good-quality welded stainless pipe suitable for this application. I'll check out the above-mentioned link, but if anyone else has supplier suggestions I'm all ears.

Gentlemen,

I just wanted to post a final note to let you know how things turned out.

As you know, I was having trouble with an oversized 8" clay chimney thimble. While I was never able to find out why it was 1/4-1/2" oversize, I've managed to solve the problem anyway.

After consulting with you and several others, I purchased an 8" metal thimble from an online source and cemented this into the clay thimble, thus reducing the diameter sufficiently to allow conventional installation of 8" stove pipe. The refractory cement I employed has now fully hardened, and the stove works just fine.

While I'm still surprised that no one could account for the oversize thimble, I'm pleased to report that I've been able to work around it.

Thanks again for your advice,

Timberscribe

Status
Not open for further replies.